Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

car dent

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
People are so gullible. Yeah try it like the ding king that volcanoes dents, pulls paint or leaves the crown. It's funny how people can be so picky about there cars and do something themselves thats halfa#$ed because they are too cheap to pay $75 to have a dent pulled right. DRY ICE= etches paint. CO2 only works where dents would pop anyway (95% don't) and then leave the crown around the dent.
Tomdent1,

Dry ice doesn't etch paint. It does not impact paint on the car. According to this dry ice website, the only part that could bother the paint is if you leave the heat on too long. But that would be a somewhat extreme case.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 AM

Dry Ice and CO2 will only workon large wave dents in onpen areas of the metal and it has to be very thin metal.

It may only work on 15% of the dents out there.

If the metal is thicker, near a body line or complex curve as most panels are it will not come out and even if it does it still may be warped.

There are tricks to forming and shrinking metal and it seldom comes from a can.

You can try these Ice and Co2 tricks as they really hurt nothing but I would recomend to stay on good terms with a good reliable dent man as some of these guys can do wonders.

I have one that can do about anything and get 98% of most dings out of any cars if the paint is not damaged.

I have never had a dent that these tricks ever worked on. I learned the hard way. Where I used to work I could get CO2, Dry Ice and Liquid Oxygen and Liquid Nitrogen. We used to dry all sorts of things. We tried to remove dings from company trucks with the much colder liquids and just used to freeze things for fun. But really seldom would it change the dent much let alone remove it.

Note please do not use Liquid Oxygen as it will blow up much worse than gasoline. The space shuttle Challanger was half Liquid Oxygen and you can see how that went.

We did it under controld conditions but still should not have used it.

The nitrogen was so cold I froze my shoes to the hot summer concrete in the summer with a spill once.