Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Car Washing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM

Masterchief

The rear chrome pc/bowtie is nothing but a beauty bar that hold the lamps for the license plate. It's not supposed to be used as a push bar when closing the hatch. When you see dents, it means someone has been using the bar to slam the hatch shut.

Unfortunately there is nothing in the manual to instructs the owner how to properly shut the hatch.

I know this has been covered in previous posts, but haven't been able to find a link to this
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by masterchief1112
when i bought my car there are dents on either side of the chrome molding with the bowtie on the rear gate. the dealer said it was from carwashes and i saw it on other used hhrs as well, anyone else have this issue?
This is very common and caused by slamming the rear hatch by pushing on the beauty bar. I always close my own hatch and its another good reason to avoid car washes.

My method for cleaning (as adapted from Todd):
Step 1
The key to keeping my car clean is to dust it at least once a day with a california car duster(it only takes 5 min). They work very well and you will be amazed how much dust you will wipe off everytime. The key to the duster is to read the instructions before you use it. They must be "seasoned" before thay are used. They have a parafin base embedded in them and out of the package they need to breath for 48hrs before using them. Skipping this step will leave wax streaks on your paint. You just lightly drag the duster over the surface and it just pulls the dust off and leaves your shine intact.

Step 2 is to use a quality quick detailer to hit the bug and bird deposits. Quick detailers vary in quality. I have my favorite (Miracle Mist) but Mothers makes a decent detailer too. I don't care for Maguiars (sorry Barry). Also NEVER use terry cloth towels, they scratch paint and chrome. Use only Microfiber towels on everything. If you want to freshen up the whole car, you wipe down the whole car with quick detailer one small area at a time. I spray a small area, wipe it with a towel then go back over it with another clean and dry towel. It looks freshly waxed when done. Change towels often, you can't have too many microfiber towels! I can dust and wipe down the whole car in 30 minutes and it looks as clean as it can get. Washing it with water takes over an hour and you have water dripping for another hour.

The key is staying on top of it. If you skip a few days, get out the hose. If you stay on it you can go weeks, I think I have gone 9 weeks at one point last year between water washing. Your environment is a factor too. Rain screws everything up, along with dirt roads and parking under trees. This is more of an urban method I would say.

Don't forget waxing either. I only wax after a good water wash so the surface is free of everything including the quick detailer. Once a month is good for waxing, but its hard to wax it when it already looks great.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Tim,

What is it about Maguire's you don't care for? Ive got one more bottle to go through that we got as P/O of the Comanche goody bag.

rgrds..DR
Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
Tim,

What is it about Maguire's you don't care for? Ive got one more bottle to go through that we got as P/O of the Comanche goody bag.

rgrds..DR
I think it is called Maguiars NXT quick detailer. It is their latest version. I got it in a goody bag too, it seems to remove the wax when you use it. That was my experience. My Miracle Mist is rich and has some substance to it. The others I have tried seem watered down to me.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
I think it is called Maguiars NXT quick detailer. It is their latest version. I got it in a goody bag too, it seems to remove the wax when you use it. That was my experience. My Miracle Mist is rich and has some substance to it. The others I have tried seem watered down to me.
Before I got the Miracle Mist (tm), I used that one (red bottle?), then moved onto the one in the black bottle. I too am using up my red bottle, but now just use it in the inside of the hood area and the plastic bits outside.

I still like the black bottle one and use that in between MM cleanings for touch-up's.

@ngelita
Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Washing and Waxing and...........

I've been washing and Waxing KW's and Pete's for so long, that when my Uncle let's me at his HHR, I use ONLY Dawn Liquid dish detergent, and warm water; followed by a medium spray from a power washer at 5 feet.

Then, I use a nice chamois, and very, very soft hand towel for inside wheels and trim. Followed by: a good Mother's Waxing, Mother's for Chrome, and Every Other Month "Clay Bar".

A little extra work (and, I earn a couple bucks from my Good Uncle) and that little Beast Sparkles, with No Harshness or pitts showing anywhere...Just a little "Elbow Grease", and "Hoping that he sells me it, when he gets ready to get his 09 LT or SS!

Take Care
Old 07-31-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by TahoeJoe
: I've been washing and Waxing KW's and Pete's for so long, that when my Uncle let's me at his HHR, I use ONLY Dawn Liquid dish detergent, and warm water; followed by a medium spray from a power washer at 5 feet.
SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IAM WRONG BUT YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO USE DISH DETERGENT ARE YOU
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys2009HHR
SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IAM WRONG BUT YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO USE DISH DETERGENT ARE YOU
if you are going to wax afterwards dish soap is one of the best things you can use as long as you wax
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM

I so wish I lived where you guys do. I hand wash from spring to fall, after that its only car washes. At least once a week I hit the wash, however some times more depends on how much salt is on it. She won't shine until late spring because its just too cold to do much. It sucks some times because some weeks I wash it and the next day is snow, then its dirty again.. hug.. I hate snow for that reason. Having another car (no matter how cheap) is not some thing we can afford.

Scott..
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

I got these and they are great
10'blond boars bristle brush at http://www.universalbrush.com/
and this http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...wash+bucket.do

park them at your inlaws and visit more often
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Car Washing