Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clay Bar Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
i got a kit for my birthday and can't wait to use it. But the temperature spiked today and it is going to be 90 out. Add in going to see my parents next weekend and they live on a dirt road, and 6 hours of bugs each way. it'll have to wait.
Ahhh, but if you clay it before and get a nice new coat of wax on it then clean up should be a breeze
Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DSNYCRZE
She's Super Woman !!
LOL! I'm anything but that!
I was told by UMA to only clay bar certain areas -- roof, hood, etc ... although the roof is still the challenge as i'm only 5'1". I did peripheral clay barring on the sides, however I did wax the whole car.

Good work out and worth the effort I think.

@
Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 AM

If I'm going to take the time to clay bar I'm going to do the entire vehicle. 3-5 hours will generally do it and that includes wax time.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
If I'm going to take the time to clay bar I'm going to do the entire vehicle. 3-5 hours will generally do it and that includes wax time.
Excellent point. I am 6'2" and use a step stool to clay bar the entire roof.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Dang. If ya'll have that much trouble, you can imagine the fun I have trying to clean the roof!

I spend more time on the hood, roof and back end (that area *never* stays clean!) -- mainly for the pin stripping. Extra careful there, but those pins aint coming off anytime soon.

@
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
The first time I clayed my black finish it took at least 6 hrs, but I was very careful, and also it was the first time. I think once you get it clayed and very clean (and then immediately get a coat or two of sealeant and or wax on it) then the next clay session in approx 3-6 months should be better. If you clay it quarterly, it shouldn't be very bad and it should go fast. Of course, I baggie test it as I am claying to make sure I get all the gunk off, not just the big stuff. (Since I am spending the time claying, I want to do a good job and not miss anything.) After the claying is an opportune time to work to remove swirls in the finish before you get the wax on.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM

I have never clayed a car, but I did use Mr clean bars on one once. I could not believe how clean it got. It was an '03 Caddy and it shined like it was just off the line. I also kept it wet, but the difference is, I used it on everything, even the leather, which looked like new after. here 's a pic

Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Hey everyone. I have been using a clay bar for several years. I use it about every 6 months on my HHR. I am only 5'6" and also have to use a step stool for the roof. It usually takes the better part of the day for me to do mine. After I wash it I use the clay bar and then use my Mequires d/a polisher on it. After that I give it a good coat of wax. It is a little time consuming but she sure does look good after that.

I also used a clay bar on my mothers old pick-up truck that I dont beleive had ever been waxed. It made a huge difference in her paint as well. Using the clay bar makes a big difference in the next washing too. Much easier to wash.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Deceased

Twice a year for me, I've found that clay baring is very relaxing, almost a zen like thing. Last year I did break my wrist doing the '61, kinda forgot I was on the step stool and boom! The doc at the emergency room was very interested in what I was doing when I went thud. He e-mailed me about a week later to say he'd done his Porsche and was amazed with the shine. One new clay bar convert, and a nice hospital bill I could have done without.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM

clay bar

it is a lot of work but worth it, a car wash here in Hemet charges $48.00 for wash and clay when the weather gets better I think Ill letm them clay and then Ill wax my HHR.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Your HHR