Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clay Bar Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
it is a lot of work but worth it, a car wash here in Hemet charges $48.00 for wash and clay when the weather gets better I think Ill letm them clay and then Ill wax my HHR.
That sounds like a reasonable price for it... I think a kit is about $15-$20, so that really isn't that bad to have someone else do it.

Me personally, I'd rather do it. It's kind of "bonding" between you and your car...you can really get to know it. I know that sounds weird, but it's kind of true. That's how you know if you get a new nick or ding, is because doing stuff like this yourself, you know what's where.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Claying for me takes little time. First off my cars seldom get to the point they need it. Some people drink or gold, I detail. I too get the zen feeling when I am detailing.

But I also learned a real trick. Use running water to clay with. The liquid is only needed to lubicate the surface to pass the clay over.

I was the car very well and the just clay over the water with the hose. I have never had an issue or problem with this.

I own two black vehicles and can say this. Detailing back cars is not a job but a career.

Note I clay, polish is steps depending on condition of the paint. Then I wax. I seldom do 1 or two steps.

Usally the paint is not in need of clay so I often can get away with much less work.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Bringing this up again, I ran the clay bar over mine again Sunday. For grins I did the windshield too. If you have not tried it, it is great. Works on the windshield as well as the paint. Water beads right off.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:52 AM

I just did mine again too. Smooth as a babys bottom. :)
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by prod
I just did mine again too. Smooth as a babys bottom. :)
Clay barring is an essential step in maintaining your HHR! I recommend doing it at least twice a year.

I do it for all my customers. It really adds that WOW factor when you put on a nice coat of wax onto a smooth glass like finish.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 AM

When I had my 96 Impala SS, I would clay bar the car every spring... and then lay down four or five coats of ZAINO BROTHERS' show Polish. The paint would look as deep as an old school laquer paint job!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I clay bar every 6 months, then a buff with scratch and swirel remover and polish with paste wax, the results are worth the effort and the 6 months fequency reduces the effort!! Shine on !!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Smile what is an old woman to do?

Hi everyone,
Cariapat here; i bought a 2011 HHR LT 2 on 11-30-11. It is that dark red, Maroony tint coat, cant remember the color exactly; senior moment here.
Anyway been reading all the clay and wax posts from the beginning to here.
I have several questions. I live in a unique area, the Adirondacks of upstate New York, I live in a senior high rise of 11 floors, with a large parking lot. My spot is under some trees, will have to see what kind.
Anyway all we have in town is one automatic car wash and one pay as you go wand thingie i guess.
Another problem, like today the temp is 20 below zero! Lots of salt and sand on the roads!
I have some med problems, was thinkin, i will hire one of you guys to detail my hhr, which looks fabulous so far, dont drive it much. Actually am just happy to just sit in it! It looks so wonderful, best vehicle i have ever owned.
So what are your suggestions for keeping it looking so well as it does now, has the chrome package on it, i bought weather tech mats and rear mat for it, gold plated and chromed license plate frames. That is it so far.
I am not going to say how old i am, as there is probably an age limit lol.
Take your time answering, all though at my age dont talk too long. lol
Gawd, i love my new hhr, what a ride, it has the 2.4 in it. Plus all the old fart guys that live in my bldg (130 units); think it is the best ride in town!
Guess that is all that counts?
Have a great winter no matter where you live and the most important thing is HHR's rule!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Welcome cariapat, To the HHR family. You need a strapping young buck, To apply your wax.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM

IS that You???????? wha?

What part of the country do young bucks look like the one in that picture? There must be something in the water, if that guy is a YOUNG Buck!
Whatever is in the water, cannot be good for you. Call the EPA.
I should post a note on here, Help Wanted: Young Buck to Clay and Wax Vehicle, no young bucks with the first name of "Clay" need apply.
Also it would be a simple "Wax On, Wax Off"!

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Your HHR