Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clay Bar Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
One thing I didn't see anyone mention here, you should wash your car before using the bar, and again after using the bar before you wax it.
Re-read the original post.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Re-read the original post.
Well what the heck was I reading.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:25 AM

I agree on using the clay bar it's some great stuff. I try to do mine every three months or so because here it get's pretty dusty. Unfortunately a lot of our dust is from shell and sand and both are like micro crystals that not only stick to paint, it scratches pretty bad dulling the paint. Funny thing, when we lived in Washing state where they used gravel on the roads for snow and Ice we could hear the gravel hitting the car, but seldom got rock chips (we did get some), but here in Florida I rarely hear anything hit the car but yet it get's some pretty bad chips. It's because the shell that hit's our cars are light so you really don't hear them hit (unless it a pretty big piece), but the darn things are sharp and just cut the crap out of the paint, unlike the fairly smooth surface of gravel (by comparison).
Old 08-05-2006, 12:46 PM

Thumbs up Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit

I have heard members boast about how great this stuff is...so I just had to get some and try it out. Now, as CJ has told you before...my car is the shiniest HHR he's ever seen...well...you really need your shades now.

Wow...I did the whole car this morning and it looks even better than before...and I didn't think that was possible. I've never used this stuff before and couldn't believe all the crud that was on the car that came off while doing this. If you haven't done this to your HHR...by all mean do it...your car will thank you and you will love the outcome.

Here's a couple pictures I took this morning after doing the entire car. Excuse the date on the photos...still learning how to use my new digital camera.

Name:  3700f7d7.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  127.0 KB

Name:  0dfe6420.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  129.8 KB
Old 08-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Deb that car look great, look's like its wet! I am going to have to try that stuff.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:57 PM

Looks incredible... how long did that take...??
Old 08-05-2006, 01:04 PM

Thanks Jessee...I'm really pleased with how well it turned out.

El Guappo...thanks for the compliment. I just used the Quick Detailer & Clay Bar as it says on the box and it took me less than an hour to do the entire car.

Get some of this stuff...it's great and you'll be very pleased with the results. Can you imagine using Zaino on top of what I've already done? Scare me...
Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Hey Deb could you tell me.......

Well I have waxed my black HHR 2 times now with Mequires Gold Class Wax. Could I just clay bar over that or do I need to strip it or what????

I really like the way the just waxed look is. Did you wax it after the clay bar? Or is that yet to come?
Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 PM

I didn't use anything to remove the wax on mine and Henry has waxed it several times. You need to make sure the car has been washed very well before doing the clay bar process and I didn't do anything to strip wax prior to the clay bar process. I haven't put any wax on since I did the clay bar...but I definitely will. I did do the hood with the stuff that came in the kit, after I did the clay bar treatment...but the car looked so good even without the extra wax, that I stopped for now. Was starting to get pretty warm outside, so I'll probably finish the wax tomorrow. Going to go with Zaino...just need to find out what I need to buy and that will be the next step...but what I have done thus far looks great and definitely recommend to other HHR owners.

If you read Zaino's website, they give some very good instructions on how and what needs to be done to prepare your car and that information is HERE.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:04 PM

Looks great Deb,

I'm getting ready to order/buy the wax for my new HHRs first wax job. From what I can tell as a newbie, it seems both companines make both.

Is there a reason you used the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit as opposed to the Zaino Z-18 ClayBar?

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Your HHR