Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clay Bar Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Looks great Doug!

I've got that same kit and am going to be using it this week. Any suggestions?
Not really, it was pretty easy. I used the quick detail for lubrication, kneaded the clay until it was easy to work with and did one section at a time. Didn't have to work too hard as the clay did a good job with not much effort. I would say it was definitely worth the effort. Good luck, and when you're done, you'll need sunglasses to look at Bob.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:22 PM

WOW...

That's so glossy, it looks like WET PAINT...

Can't beat the Clay Bar for a perfect pre-wax treatment...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:34 PM

I've got the same kit in my garage waiting for a free weekend to do my HHR

Ng
Old 08-26-2007, 01:52 PM

Definitely a nice shine. I used the Turtle Wax Ice liquid clay bar on my HHR a few months ago and it did a good job, but it's no substitute for a real clay bar.

Labour day weekend is next weekend...perfect time to do some work on the HHR, or play golf, or get drunk, or all the above
Old 08-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Ern

I assume you used a sealant or a wax after the clay. It will remove your lsp.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ern
I assume you used a sealant or a wax after the clay. It will remove your lsp.
Yup. Meguiars NXT tech wax.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 PM

The clay bar is awesome at getting off surface contamination. I've just about finished the first step of the Zaino system. I started with the clay bar, applied two coats of Z5, one coat of Z2, then finished with a coat of Z6.

I must say the HHR paint was in better shape than my previous new GM vehicle. My Australian built Pontiac GTO had so much rail dust on it when I bought it I was concerned it wouldn't clean up and look like a new car should. It was a great deal of work but the clay bar did its job and brought the Torrid Red GTO back to life.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I've got that same kit and am going to be using it this week. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing on "Bob"? Didn't you paint the entire vehicle? And how old is it? Is it a daily driver? Not sure why you would need to claybar a custom paintjob at all, much less a new one. A good polish or fill in glaze should do the trick. Maybe a good wax for the winter, unless its under a cover in the garage til spring.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BigMOCats
I'm guessing on "Bob"? Didn't you paint the entire vehicle? And how old is it? Is it a daily driver? Not sure why you would need to claybar a custom paintjob at all, much less a new one. A good polish or fill in glaze should do the trick. Maybe a good wax for the winter, unless its under a cover in the garage til spring.
Yes

1 1/2 year

yes

Then why is everyone else doing so? Reason I ask is that I'm basically lazy and if it doesn't need it, then I'd rather not waste the time.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm thinking most are doing it on a factory paint job which dulls out a lot quicker than yours SHOULD! I would doubt it needs it, if it still feels slick when it's wet from washing, I wouldn't bother. They work wonders on neglected finishes or overspray etc., but I'm guessing your vehicle doesn't need it, unless you work at the steel mill.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Your HHR