Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Collapsed Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by whopper
I don't think they are collapsed - I believe they are twisted during removal, or installation if the o-ring hangs up. Try lubing the o-ring before installation and see what happens.

Re: Fram - imo they are overrated, and having encountered problems with air cleaners that came apart, and finding Fram would not stand behind them, I will only use their products if I am desperate and there is nothing else available.
Agree with you, whopper...... I tried to support the idea of installation error in previous threads on this topic. I don't believe I received any feedback. I do know, it's hard to accept that WE all make mistakes.

I also believe esmarkey has a relatively valid suggestion. However, I would check it every 500 miles, or some other predetermined measure. Doesn't cost anything except a few turns of a wrench. Checking for burrs/scrapes on the plastic end caps, and other contact points, of the filter MIGHT yield some evidence. Not sure it would provide proof of anything......but it would be interesting.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:41 PM

I just picked up a Wix filter at O'Reillys. MADE IN POLAND. It would be nice if they made more stuff here at home.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

ut oh, here we go again !!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by postalboy
I just picked up a Wix filter at O'Reillys. MADE IN POLAND. It would be nice if they made more stuff here at home.
That vehicle that you're installing that Polish oil filter in is assembled with parts from all over the world. You do know where the vehicle itself is assembled. Right??
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM

The first time I changed mine it was collapsed and that was from the factory at about 1000 miles
Old 05-22-2013, 05:31 PM

I have a 2007 HHR that I bought new. It has 29904 miles on it and I have gone to the chevy dealer for all my oil changes. After reading about the collapsed filters I changed the oil and filter myself to see what the filter was like. The dealer installed Delco filter was collapsed and looked just like the photos posted here. This change was done after only 2100 miles, I usually go 5000. I can't believe that every filter pulled out at dealerships aren't collapsed.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

We're all using the word "collapsed" but now I believe that's incorrect.

I think they're just slightly "twisted" from removal.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
We're all using the word "collapsed" but now I believe that's incorrect.

I think they're just slightly "twisted" from removal.
Agreed, & mine have never came out twisted. I always lube the O-rings thoroughly prior to install of new filter..
In fact I wipe the filter housing clean, then wipe it with fresh oil too.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM

I have another theory. If you look at the first photo in this post you will notice that the old filter is slightly shorter than the new one. I compaired the height of my old fiter and my new one before putting it in the car and this was true for mine also. It looks to me that these filters are being slightly crushed as they are being tightened down, also the folds in the filter pleats on mine are not totaly directional a few go the other way as if pushed straight down. Just a thought
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM

Interesting discussion but would the filter's performance really be affected by this? I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Collapsed Oil Filter