Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Collapsed Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 AM

7 years ownership, 92K miles. I've done each and every oil change on mine. This is an old pic, but each one of mine have looked similiar upon removal. Some bent pleats, but not twisted.

Name:  Picture040-1.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  68.2 KB
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Interesting discussion but would the filter's performance really be affected by this? I doubt it.
Ding, ding, ding, I think we have a winner here. Mine have had slightly bent pleats when I have pulled the old ones out and I have done all my own oil changes and have always used the AC Delco filters. I think they may be designed this way as too tight migh bend the pleats a bit, no big deal, but too loose may let contaminate past?
Has anyone taken a brand new one and screwed it in, then removed it to see if the pleats are bent?
I may try this on my next oil change, but that might be a while...
Old 12-16-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Ding, ding, ding, I think we have a winner here. Mine have had slightly bent pleats when I have pulled the old ones out and I have done all my own oil changes and have always used the AC Delco filters. I think they may be designed this way as too tight migh bend the pleats a bit, no big deal, but too loose may let contaminate past?
Has anyone taken a brand new one and screwed it in, then removed it to see if the pleats are bent?
I have tried this and the filter looks like new and is not twisted. The twisting has to happen while the engine is in operation over a period of time. Maybe a combination of the spring pressure, oil flow direction and element weakness.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by esmarkey
I have as well, still looks fine. Even when I do my oil changes, the used oil filter still has straight pleats.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:05 AM

What is the worry? The paper is still intact, so still filtering.

Could be caused by that pesky small O ring on the bottom.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by postalboy
I have another theory. If you look at the first photo in this post you will notice that the old filter is slightly shorter than the new one. I compaired the height of my old fiter and my new one before putting it in the car and this was true for mine also. It looks to me that these filters are being slightly crushed as they are being tightened down, also the folds in the filter pleats on mine are not totaly directional a few go the other way as if pushed straight down. Just a thought
Yep, post #24 sure looks like the old one has been crushed down slightly compared to the new one. Maybe I just assumed that all along and never gave it a lot of thought?

Like esmarkey said, it might be by design to make sure there's total contact at the sealing surfaces to ensure total filtration.

Originally Posted by donbrew
What is the worry? The paper is still intact, so still filtering.

Could be caused by that pesky small O ring on the bottom.
I'm thinking the same thing. I lube the O ring on the cap and the small O ring on the bottom tip of the filter when I change my oil. With a plastic internal cage to prevent complete collapse, I agree that filtration probably isn't affected that much.

I've always used AC Delco filters, and they all come out looking bent like that. No rips or tears, just bent pleats. Since we do a lot of local driving with ours, I've always changed oil at 50% on the OLM, which works out to 6-8 months. Fairly low mileage between changes.

I just changed mine per routine yesterday. It was bent. I think I'll go dig it out and examine it more closely now that it's fresh in my mind.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Since this topic was resurrected AGAIN, I thought I would review the posts from the beginning.

While a believer in the installer error theory, I believe I found something worth mentioning.

Review the OP's pictures again. While the statement, "they appear to be the same" may have some validity, that may not be the case. Look very hard at the pictures of the 2 filters. Do you see the difference? The "pointed" end is slightly different. The point on one appears to be rounded and slightly larger and the other appear to be slightly smaller and thinner. The gasket also appears to be slightly wider than the other. Could the difference cause the problem, at least in the OP's situation?

But what donbrew says still is the definitive. Does it make a difference.