Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

To drain entire cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Close guess its actually rarer
Its a 39 studebaker champion.
Here is a video of its first pass with the motor I built
Had chassis and tranny issues that day.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaNN...e_gdata_player

Btw
Great info u posted fireman
Nice ride, get your cameaman some lessons.......
Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 PM

Back to the topic. A coolant flush and fill machine like some shops have would make this easier.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Coolant won't "back drain" through closed thermostat.

Not much coolant drains from hose because there isn't much coolant in hose.

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
When you drain the radiator, a lot of the coolant/water will back drain from the block through the lower radiator hose. You are not leaving the engine block "full" as you're seeming to think. Most of the fluid will drain from the block. If you don't believe so, take the lower radiator hose off after you drain the radiator. Not much will drain out from the hose.
Here's the capacities chart to check with.

Attachment 14616
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I just did this, I drained from the drain plug on the lower side of the rad , removed the red hose cap, and the thermostat, then refilled with 50/50 mix Dexcool, it took just under 2 gallons to refill so I think I got pretty much all of the old stuff out

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-05-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: because the proper word for drain plug was concidered sensered
Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 PM

I use a cheap 12 volt pump hooked the the heater hose to the block pinch off the other end, take the fill cap off and push new coolant in and old coolant out. No air pockets get out when done. You can remove the stat if you wish I don't unless I'm replacing it.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Banned

What about the coolant in the radiator and lower radiator hose?

Originally Posted by Lucky
I use a cheap 12 volt pump hooked the the heater hose to the block pinch off the other end, take the fill cap off and push new coolant in and old coolant out. No air pockets get out when done. You can remove the stat if you wish I don't unless I'm replacing it.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Banned

How did you replace the thermostat without draining the system all over again?

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I just did this, I drained from the pet**** on the lower side of the rad , removed the red hose cap, and the thermostat, then refilled with 50/50 mix Dexcool, it took just under 2 gallons to refill so I think I got pretty much all of the old stuff out
Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM

When you change the T-Stat you only lose a few ounces of fluid, less that a pint.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by blacky
What about the coolant in the radiator and lower radiator hose?
You can direct the flow by pinching off hoses. If I pinch off the upper rad hose between the fill and the block the coolant has to flow threw the lower hose to the rad and out the fill. On some cars the thermostat may have to be removed to get the exchange your looking for. I myself am happy with changing most of the coolant. Antifreeze never loses it freezing property's but it does loose its rust inhibiting property's. Year ago you could just add a can of rust inhibitor to your cooling system every two years and never change the coolant at all
Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Banned

I like the system you describe. Fluid flow is up, bubbles like to go up.

Unlike conventional silica containing anti-freeze, DexCool shouldn't create any deposits. My version of adding a can of rust inhibitor has been to siphon the overflow tank and renew just that much with fresh coolant once or twice a year.

At this point, I will be changing thermostat, and so intend to renew all of the coolant. One way of dealing with the thermostat is the old trick of using some hard candy to hold it open during fill.

Originally Posted by Lucky
You can direct the flow by pinching off hoses. If I pinch off the upper rad hose between the fill and the block the coolant has to flow threw the lower hose to the rad and out the fill. On some cars the thermostat may have to be removed to get the exchange your looking for. I myself am happy with changing most of the coolant. Antifreeze never loses it freezing property's but it does loose its rust inhibiting property's. Year ago you could just add a can of rust inhibitor to your cooling system every two years and never change the coolant at all

Quick Reply: To drain entire cooling system?