Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

drilled/slotted rotors..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM

drilled/slotted rotors..??

was fortunate enough to buy a "new" 2006 HHR.....runs great. did notice that the (front) rotors are slotted/drilled....anyone know if this is a "factory standard" deal or, maybe, an upgrade that the previous owner(who i cannot contact) installed...it's got 30,000 miles on it and is a dream. thank you.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 PM

No HHR that I've heard of (even the Brembo package SS's) have slotted/drilled rotors, to my knowledge. Sounds like the last owner upgraded them after the factory junkers warped.

Welcome to the site!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 PM

ok, thanks.........
Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM

No they never came with these from the fastory.

Note they are only cosmetic reasons only and do not add to performance in any way. The slots can clear dirt and debrie from them but they do not make you stop faster or run cooler.

The so called warp is a whole different thing call rotor thickness variation or deposits on the rotor from pad material

The only car with holes in the rotors are the ZR1 and Z06 Vette. There they too are cosmetic since the rotors and optional rotors are ceramic. THat is the real game today but costly.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:52 PM

the carfax showed that very early on(14,000 miles), the rotors were cut to "fix" what may have been a brake problem.........bout 20,000 miles the rotors/pads were replaced(with the slotted/drilled deals)........all i can say is that the thing stops great(at 30,000 miles, that is.....). also, see no evidence of brake dust on the wheels..........
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by alexrckid
the carfax showed that very early on(14,000 miles), the rotors were cut to "fix" what may have been a brake problem.........bout 20,000 miles the rotors/pads were replaced(with the slotted/drilled deals)........all i can say is that the thing stops great(at 30,000 miles, that is.....). also, see no evidence of brake dust on the wheels..........
If you have issues with the pulse feel later have them check the wheel bearings. If they are out the rotor wobbles and will wear the rotor in uneven thickness. People blame warp and replace the rotors never checking the bearings and have the issue again and again.

If you have no dust they may have used a ceramic pad. These make for good stopping and low dust. The pads have all to do with your stopping vs the rotors.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...m=220847491742 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...m=290606806592 I bought the ones with ceramic pads .This is how I fixed my problem with the brakes. Before this I Replaced the rotors with another brand(Autozone) did not even last one winter . Vibrations came back . Dirt sand gets on the rotor, low carbon steel. Rotors get hot and warp. The design of the brakes for the car are way to small. Rotors should have been bigger. So this type here works great. I do not have ABS so they work great. Not a bad price either. And if you do , do your brakes put all new fluid in....
Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM

Drilled and slotted rotors ARE an upgrade. People that say that that they do nothing have never needed to use them. Same as people that do not sky dive do not need chutes. They should not advise if they do not know. 97% of people will never need the cooling these offer, the other 3% know.
Victor
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by vtfb68
Drilled and slotted rotors ARE an upgrade. People that say that that they do nothing have never needed to use them. Same as people that do not sky dive do not need chutes. They should not advise if they do not know. 97% of people will never need the cooling these offer, the other 3% know.
Victor
You had better tell that to the guy who heads up EBC brakes. He will tell you like any reputable MFG that the Solid rotors are the best thing you can have.

I race, I autocross and I make a living make a living in the racing industry with company that sells Willwood, Brembo, EBC, Powerstop, Stainless Steel Brakes, Baer, and others, all will tell you the holes are just for cometic pourposes with limited to no cooling effect.

I have owned these and used these myself and know the truth through use and training by the MFG. The head of EBC told me he only sells them because they make money not because they work better.

It is due for the most part to internet and old long held beliefs that they are there for cooling. The fact is time has moved on and what was true once is no longer true today.

Here is the facts on the holes. THe holes were there for two reasons. One to out gas old organic pads that are no longer made today. Modern materials make it no longer true they out gas the pads. The holes cool nothing it is more metal not the fact they have holes more surface area that make brakes more effective. The thicker the rotor the more heat removed from the pads and the better they work. Heat transfer is the key.

Second the most often reason old race cars used drilled rotors is because they were lighter. In the old days with poorer shocks, heavier wheels and springs they would drill them for less unsprung weight. Today they worry less about it as tires and suspension have come a long way and weight has been removed in other areas. Just pick up a F1 tire and wheel and it will be less than 7 pounds

Finally the slots for the most will help clean debrie from the rotor surface. They are most effective on race cars where rubber will build up on the track and may get into the caliper and pads. Also off road where mud can be a factor.

If you look at the modern racing calipers for NASCAR, INDY, F1, ALMS and nearly any other top series none of the rotors have holes. Many may have some slots but that is it. They also will be very thick or ceramic to pull the heat from the pads.

I will agree they are a upgrade but for looks only. Other wise the best in the braking industry will disagree with you. Also the best racing brakes in the world will also not have holes in them. More holes less metal less heat sink effect, it is that simple.

I like the slotted rotors as they let me make more money in my profit sharing and they are really profit centers for MFG and retailers.

People in the past that parachuted used to land nearly anywhere they had to. Today you can make a box 2 foot by 2 foot and a modern chute and jumper will hit it. Times have changed as has technology. What once was true no longer applies.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Hyper Sensitive,
Sorry to get under your skin. I was born yesterday. nice novel, I could write one too.
Alex,
Under heavy braking (we shoot up to Big Bear often) the brake fade was greatly reduced. They work and they work great.

Victor

Quick Reply: drilled/slotted rotors..??