Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

drilled/slotted rotors..??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
If you like them, use them, and enjoy them. If you don't like them, don't use them.

Come on guys - this is getting silly.
Is there something silly about teaching someone the truth on modern brakes?
Too many people are spending alot of money on them for the wrong reasons.

I have owned them too in the past and if you buy them for looks that is fine but many are spending alot of money for a performance increase they think they feel in their butt.

Brakes are one of the most misunderstood topics and one of the most important. This is why I point out to read the brakes companies web sites and don't just take my word. There are many other things on these web sites we all should read.

If people want to use them for the right reason there is no issue but to think they will make the brakes do something they won't then there is something wrong. I mean when people buy them just because they are on a 911 so they have to be better. That is not the way to do performance.

I make a living fixing Performance error and people make many. Too often it is
too big of cam, too big of carb all because my buddy told me I should use it and he races. Incorrectly installed other parts where the piston hits the valve because no one checked the clearances. Then we have all the snake oil ideas too that never seem to go away like Split Fire plugs and the like.

Just because you have a set of Craftsman tools and think you know does not mean you really know. I wish people would spend their time more wisely to read the correct things and learn how to buy the right parts. I see it even in some good old mechanics too. I had to explain to an old time mechanic who really did know his stock engine stuff but could not understand why he had to clearance a block for the crank. It goes on from there.

I could tell you some real horror stories on thing when they go bad when someone listens to a buddy or a web site.

The fact is performance is not as simple as just bolting on a part. Too often these parts tend to be too easy to install anymore and make too many nor really learn what is going on. The whole point is to teach those the truth and to buy these rotors wisely for the right reasons nothing more nothing less. I make more money if they do! But I want them to be happy for the right reasons with them.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry man - it's just that this thread is starting to sound like a broken record. Yes we get your point(s). Just let it be.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM

So much misinformation in this thread but there is a whole lot of truth in post #21. Simply put, drilled/slotted rotors: Disadvantages: Less thermal mass, less braking surface, faster to warp, higher cost, eats brake pads. Advantages: Looks kinda cool. Kinda. Not arguing; just going on my 45+ years experience with automobiles/trucks/motorcycles. You can put what you want on your car.

Last edited by db/sb; 10-17-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Sorry man - it's just that this thread is starting to sound like a broken record. Yes we get your point(s). Just let it be.
Stop the misinformation from coming back again and again and I will stop correcting it. Sorry but If I save someone from buying the wrong part to solve an issue that it will not fix for 4 times the price I fill do what I can to help them. This is not a right or wrong deal it' all about just trying to help someone from making a common mistake.

If they want the look more power to em.

Ignore it if you don't like it. It's really is that simple that is what I do on the What did you do today on your HHR and what is your HHR's name.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

I guess I dare not mention warped rotors then.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:44 PM

To late................ You just did.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:36 PM

I guess I dare not mention warped rotors then.
Only if you spread misleading info that you can't back up is it an issue.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM

i started this string. the 2006 hhr that i bought previously belonged to a chevy serv mgr. still impressed that it came with the drilled/slotted rotors and more impressed by how it stops. anyway......bought it with approx 29,000 miles...now have 35,000............not a single problem.......
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Wink

Glad you are enjoying it. Post a picture when you get a chance.

Just be glad you don't have these brakes http://www.buybrakes.com/brembo/gran-turismo.html
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake System

Sweet !!!