Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

E85 fuel and now it idles rough at start up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:46 AM

Looking into that on you tube, thanks
Old 02-21-2022, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Old 02-22-2022, 12:48 AM

RD, you may now have the opposite problem. If the car thinks it has more ethanol in the tank than it really does, it will be too rich at startup, leading extended cranking and smoke and fuel smell, or even crank/no start. (Pedal-the-floor “flood clearing mode” works.) Then, once it gets warm enough for the O2 sensor to work, it will correct.

You should check for codes and not be surprised by a P0172, even if no CEL. Also while have the scanner on it check the stored ethanol %. Sampling the tank for actual ethanol percent will probably just tell you what you already know but it wouldn’t hurt.

To reiterate, I have the exact same 2011 2.2L and had the P0172 w/ hard or no start and smoke a fuel smell (obviously very rich) that cleared up once the the car warmed up just a bit. And I had a fuel leak. Fixed it by resetting the stored ethanol %, but I would really like to get to the bottom of the cause. Did you ever find the source of your fuel leak? To review, does the car make short trips? Do you religiously turn off the motor while fueling?

Did you end up replacing anything else, like an O2 sensor? Is it possible that something in the O2 sensors or wiring got messed up when your exhaust manifold was replaced?
Old 02-22-2022, 08:10 AM

I have a locking gas cap, so the keys come out of the ignition every time. It does get a few short trips but not lately. Since it acted up, I make sure it gets warmed up 100%. The scanner I have is an OBDII reader. I dont recall an ethanol reset on it, but I'll put it on the car today and check for codes. Can an OBDII at least read the %? I did not find the source of the fuel leak. No o2 sensors were replaced. If it had a bad one, I would guess the check engine light would come on, which hasn't happened yet. But the wiring to them will get looked at today. Once this gets fixed, I think a new set of spark plugs will be in order. Very warm this morning 45 degrees so it wont act up.. The ethanol percentage makes sense. I looked into the fuel pressure test, same one that you posted, thanks, Old Blue.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:47 AM
Administrator

The alcohol percentage may show up in your OBD II reader.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket Dawg
The scanner I have is an OBDII reader. I dont recall an ethanol reset on it, but I'll put it on the car today and check for codes. Can an OBDII at least read the %?
You probably can’t reset it but there’s a good chance you can read it. It’s usually buried someplace in the in the menus. A couple owners thought they could not read it but then found it. I use a Bluetooth dongle. If that’s what you have you can for sure with the right free app.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:40 AM

You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge for free at Autozone.

The video is good, but forgets to tell you to turn off the ignition when checking for pressure drop. Also, should actually start the car (?) because the HHR fuel pump turns off after a few second if no start. Also has the relationship between vacuum and fuel pressure backwards, but that’s not relevant here anyway.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:59 AM

Good to know. Im heading out to the mancave soon.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:33 AM

Just a small update, my OBDII reader listed no codes. It did not reveal the ethanol %. I messed with it for over 20 minutes and it just doesn't have that feature. Its a small Actron unit. The wires to the o2 sensor look okay. Tomorrow morning temps will be in the single digits so I will see if it acts up again. Fuel pressure check is next.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Temperature shouldn’t effect the fuel pressure test!
Remember to start it, then pull fuel pump fuse (#13) wait till the engine stops, then connect the fuel pressure tester to the schrader valve on the fuel rail, put the fuse back in and run the test.
remover that same fuse , let the engine stop and then remove the tester. Otherwise you’ll get sprayed with fuel, not fun!

Quick Reply: E85 fuel and now it idles rough at start up