Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Engine ticking while running

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 03:37 PM

Lightbulb Engine ticking while running

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
https://youtu.be/2DsZni9PiHg
I don't know if it just started or if I just noticed. I'm talking about the rpm specific flutter noise. Listening in person it most definitely is coming from the top of the engine.I read through some old forum posts about brand new 2.4 making a noise like this? Is it normal for the 2.4? What the neck is it? I want others to listen and tell me what's wrong or that I am crazy. Thanks in advance
So, mine is doing the EXACT same thing. It has 205.925 miles on it. 2009 .

It's constant. Even with oil changes. Has been doing it for a good year now with no change. The timing belt has been changed on it. New O2 sensors and solenoid exhaust sensors. New sparkplugs. I did NOT buy new coils for it. I've been told it's the lifters countless times but seafoam does nothing. I'm about ready to rip apart the engine to find the issue unless anyone else figured it out. I also need to replace the flex pipe on mine too.
Old 09-06-2024, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

HHR’s don’t have a timing belt. They have a timing chain/ balance shaft chain system.
I suggest you start a new thread with your problem. This thread is pretty old and out of date.
Old 09-06-2024, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Yours being VVT could be having issues with the camshaft phasers, the intake solenoid, or a broken front guide for the timing chain.
Old 09-06-2024, 04:29 PM

A. timing CHAIN not belt.
B. what could any of those thing cause a clicking?
C. no lifters, it uses rollers
D. put your mechanic's stethoscope to use; look at the injectors, AC compressor, alternator and if this is a SS the high pressure fuel pump.
E. what about the serpentine belt and tensioner?
F. the airbox bracket could be broken
G Somebody in the past found a RC Cola cap stuck in the alternator
H. there are 3 preceding pages of discussion in this thread
Old 09-06-2024, 04:47 PM

Lightbulb Engine ticking while running

The 2009 car, I believe it's a 2.2, has started making a ticking noise front and center of the engine as of last summer. When it first started, it sounded like something was caught in a fan and started grinding for a couple moments. After that, the ticking started. It has 205.925 miles on it as of today.
AAA stated they changed the "timing belt" back in 2019. I have had regular oil changes for high mileage. New O2 sensors , exhaust solenoids and new sparkplugs last week. New starter last year. New temp gage sensor as of today. Transmission fluid has been flushed and refilled as of Jan this year.

I need to replace the flex pipe due to an exhaust leak and lean bank which the the o2 sensor goes into. I have not replaced the coil packs. I have a minor oil leak that I believe is coming from a bad gasket on the oil pan its self. I do plan to replace the pan and gasket in another couple weeks.
The noise is constant. Seafoam has helped for a few days but the noise is back. I've been told by a few mechanics that the lifters are bad on it and it was fine to drive on but they didn't look at it. Just listened to the sound the engine was making.
I really don't believe them to be honest and wanted to get a second opinion before I just start tearing apart the engine looking for it. I'm really not comfortable with their answer at all on the noise.
I love my car. Yes, I love that it has a similar look to the 1920's. I don't want to part with it if I can fix it myself. I will add a video of what it's doing in a bit.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
engine sound.mov (14.66 MB, 8 views)

Last edited by ScarletKnightrose; 09-06-2024 at 05:21 PM. Reason: adding video of what the engine is sounding like
Old 09-06-2024, 04:51 PM

to the forums!

I fixed your post, you had white text on white background = invisible.
Old 09-06-2024, 04:54 PM

Thank you. I have everything set up on darkmode and forgot to check
Old 09-06-2024, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Again. There is no timing “belt “. HHR’s have a timing chain system.
Also. No oil pan gasket. The pan has sealer instead.
Old 09-06-2024, 05:32 PM

This is the only belt that I can think of that AAA could have been talking about to be honest with you. I don't have the paperwork anymore.
Back then, I didn't know much about the car or what AAA was talking about.
I've just started learning where everything is and what everything is called while trying to diagnose the issues myself and learning from youtube vids and owners manuals ect.
Old 09-06-2024, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site , this will show you the timing chain

https://www.ddmworks.com/assets/imag...uild%20Kit.pdf

As I said in the other thread you might have worn camshaft phasers or a broken front guide for the timing chain or a stretched tensioner for the balance shaft chain, possibly the wrong tensioner installed on the timing chain.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking while running