Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Front end fixes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 01:09 PM

Front end fixes

Next week, Tuesday, Headed to the shop to "git er dunn"
The front end rattling from worn inners and the grind from the dry hubs.... they are all getting replaced both sides. Also while there its getting a new serpentine belt and alignment so basically everything up front is replaced except struts since I recently did the LCAs and brakes all around a few months back.
My evil half has started going to quilt guilds so she is taking the car occasionally to meetings and sit n sews so I want it safe and not break down on her as I dont like the rattle myself and finally getting it done for a smooth quiet ride.
Next, Ill need to throw a new set of plugs in it as its been almost 2 years since I did a tune up. Recently new air filter and cleaned TB/MAF
Old 04-16-2024, 01:13 PM

Sway bar bushings? End links?
Old 04-16-2024, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
all good from when I checked, but I do want to upgrade to urethane bushings tho
Old 04-16-2024, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Urethane bushings are 1” or 25.4 mm the OEM rubber sway bar bushings are 25 mm , that extra .4 of a mm is enough to allow the sway bar to make noise and beat the urethane to death, don’t waste your money, go with the OEM rubber bushings, install them on clean sway bar , no grease of any kind.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Yep, quieted my ride right down. The bushings I used were Mevotech Supreme. Seemed well made.
Links I got from Detroit Axle, they are greasable & worked well so far. Was surprised they were made in china like most everything else.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:50 AM

Urethane bushing have a reputation for squeaking unless you keep them greased, and you need to keep grease away from rubber bushings, especially aftermarket ones, as they might be susceptible to attack.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:05 AM

Update on the front end. My son in law got me in finally ( They sent him to a new store to crack the whip and get sales up and all that other stuff that comes along with being the service manager )
Anyways I was quoted $1750 for all these parts to be replaced although my son in law and I disagreed on several things with the knocking and rattling ( I even checked stuff myself finding clunks and movements ) So they got it on the rack and about an hour later he along with his best tech calls me back and start showing me everything, that they couldnt find anything loose or worn, so im stressing maybe not while in the air but once theres a load on everything????? So, a little back and forth they both tell me its not the tie rods, hubs, etc.... So they decided to check the wheel balance and as crazy as it is, the drivers wheel was somehow way off. So it was rebalanced and I was assured that was my rattle? Crazy I know but the drive home was nice and quiet, smooth and saved me a lot of money. Still has a slight groan when turning which they say is the struts, so Ill get those done later when I get a new set of tires before winter hits.
Old 07-05-2024, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bonez
Next week, Tuesday, Headed to the shop to "git er dunn"
The front end rattling from worn inners and the grind from the dry hubs.... they are all getting replaced both sides. Also while there its getting a new serpentine belt and alignment so basically everything up front is replaced except struts since I recently did the LCAs and brakes all around a few months back.
My evil half has started going to quilt guilds so she is taking the car occasionally to meetings and sit n sews so I want it safe and not break down on her as I dont like the rattle myself and finally getting it done for a smooth quiet ride.
Next, Ill need to throw a new set of plugs in it as its been almost 2 years since I did a tune up. Recently new air filter and cleaned TB/MAF
I bought a 2011 few tears ago that had front end rattle…..the car had 109xxx on it at the time so I replaced everything in the front end….struts, hub assy’s, tie rods, sway bar bushings..,.still rattled. Was driving me crazy. Cant remember why now but I was under driver side dash by petals and saw the steering shaft bolt….decided to check see if it was tight….it was pretty tight but I tightened it some more…..no more rattle.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:37 PM

Drive tires can slip around the rims when accelerating. All tires can do that when braking. It's caused by using inappropriate or excessive bead lube. Totally goofs up the balance, especially with crappy tire than need a lot of weights.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Drive tires can slip around the rims when accelerating. All tires can do that when braking. It's caused by using inappropriate or excessive bead lube. Totally goofs up the balance, especially with crappy tire than need a lot of weights.
Yeah, I dont cheap on tires, thats my life riding on those. Front 2 are worn ( probly from spinning on the gravel drive getting onto the paved road daily ) going to replace just before winter as theyre not to the wear indicators yet but close. I noticed they werent grabbing as well in the downpour yesterday so I may get them sooner?

Quick Reply: Front end fixes