Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Fumoto valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 AM

Cool Fumoto valve?

Anybody use one of these with HHR or other cars? Which one is best for HHR?
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

L8Rs SK8Rs

the.giff
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 AM

My company used to sell them. They are fine but how hard is it to pull the plug?
We only stop selling them because few people bought them.

Good item just not much demand most that bought them were for stationary engines.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM

I use one on mine; I forget the model number but I posted about it a couple of years ago. Do a quick search with my username and you'll find all the details. You do need the spacer adapter that they sell.

Yves
Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM

How hard is to pull a plug? Lemme see, 1. go to tool box try and remember bolt size, get socket and rachet or box end or Gear Wrench, go back to vehicle, walk under or slide under. Oops, got the wrong size, repeat. Or, 2. get under vehicle, flick lever drain, remove filter, install new filter, flick valve closed, dispose oil, refill, start and run, turn off, check level, top off, clean up.

Since I do most of my changes at 3k-5k intervals( track hoe after every event), I vote for number two. I have both Fumoto valves on other vehicles and plan to add one to the SS.

To answer the OP's question, I would recommend the Fumoto valve which doesn't connect to a hose, the opening is larger and it drains faster. The Fumoto valve with the drain hose nipple has a smaller diameter opening and it drains really, really slow, versus the non-nipple style. Once you go Fumoto, you never go black, I mean back!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by got2boostit2
How hard is to pull a plug? Lemme see, 1. go to tool box try and remember bolt size, get socket and rachet or box end or Gear Wrench, go back to vehicle, walk under or slide under. Oops, got the wrong size, repeat. Or, 2. get under vehicle, flick lever drain, remove filter, install new filter, flick valve closed, dispose oil, refill, start and run, turn off, check level, top off, clean up.

Since I do most of my changes at 3k-5k intervals( track hoe after every event), I vote for number two. I have both Fumoto valves on other vehicles and plan to add one to the SS.

To answer the OP's question, I would recommend the Fumoto valve which doesn't connect to a hose, the opening is larger and it drains faster. The Fumoto valve with the drain hose nipple has a smaller diameter opening and it drains really, really slow, versus the non-nipple style. Once you go Fumoto, you never go black, I mean back!
Now if the wrench is that difficult to deal with who iis going to change your filter for you?

Just kidding!!!

The drain is fine it that is what you want.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM

My only concern on the 2.X motors is having it knocked off by road debrie since it would be sticking out unprotected....
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM

I agree with the last post. That's why I wouldn't recommend it. If there was a safety lock or something where just a flick of the wrist and its open kinda scary. If it's such a great thing why doesn't the Vehicle manufacturers install them?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 AM

I changed the oil for first time on this HHR I let it drain for what seemed like a hour and oil was still dripping some. Replaced the plug with the Fumoto with hose nipple so next time a flip of the lever and I will be in business, have used this in my RV for years its been very good. you will need the adaptor like stated.