Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Got a grocery list of repairs today

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 05:55 PM

Got a grocery list of repairs today

I have a 2010 hhr LT with 130k miles, I love the car. I got an oil change today new place and I said the ride is alittle rough on bumps. Well I got a quote for over $3500. They said

I needed struts and shocks, I figured those never did them.

They said tie rods and control arms

steering gear they said its leaking, which is strange because I never had to put steering fluid in nor was there fluid on my driveway.

It also needs engine mounts and transmission mounts
What do I really need and what could wait? thx
Old 04-12-2022, 06:37 PM

Hi Tony, to the forums!!

It's pretty tough for us to say what you need, without hands on.

The steering rack has gear oil in it. There is no power steering fluid, it is electric power steering.

Oldblue should be along shortly, with a picture that shows how to tell if the front engine mount is toast

You might consider finding a shop that offers a free alignment check. Get a second opinion.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Hi Tony, to the forums!!

It's pretty tough for us to say what you need, without hands on.

The steering rack has gear oil in it. There is no power steering fluid, it is electric power steering.

Oldblue should be along shortly, with a picture that shows how to tell if the front engine mount is toast

You might consider finding a shop that offers a free alignment check. Get a second opinion.
Hi !! I spoke my friend who is a tech. He looked it up and said there is no steering pump after trying to check the level fluid. I got underneath the car because I saw liquid by the rack. It was leaking on the back of the right front tire and I touched it and its water probably from the ac condenser. They were telling me after they do the rack it may need a power steering pump and high pressure lines. Now I feel like I am going to get screwed. I am comfortable spending $2500 on her.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:34 PM

Strut, shocks control arms are most likely needed, the tie rod ends are maybes more likely they meant sway bar end links. The Power Steering is BS, they don't know what they are talking about, find another shop that does. Better yet, talk your buddy into a case of beer and save yourself a thousand or 2. None of that work requires a great level of skill; just tools and youtube or our how-to forum.

Engine/trans mounts are easy to check, look in the passenger side front wheel well if you can see a bolt through the oblong slot into the engine compartment don't worry about it.

I would also look at the hubs. Grab the front tires on at the top and pull-push; if it moves they are bad. Another easy job.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Strut, shocks control arms are most likely needed, the tie rod ends are maybes more likely they meant sway bar end links. The Power Steering is BS, they don't know what they are talking about, find another shop that does. Better yet, talk your buddy into a case of beer and save yourself a thousand or 2. None of that work requires a great level of skill; just tools and youtube or our how-to forum.

Engine/trans mounts are easy to check, look in the passenger side front wheel well if you can see a bolt through the oblong slot into the engine compartment don't worry about it.

I would also look at the hubs. Grab the front tires on at the top and pull-push; if it moves they are bad. Another easy job.
Thanks Don, How do I check the motor mounts?
Old 04-12-2022, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tony hhr
Thanks Don, How do I check the motor mounts?
Pry/crow bar and pry on them. You'll know. When you have your foot on the brake and shift to either drive or reverse does it clunk?
Old 04-12-2022, 10:02 PM

No clunk at all. Just road alittle rough over bumps.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tony hhr
No clunk at all. Just road alittle rough over bumps.
Maybe shocks and struts. Leave the rest alone. It'll tell you when things are getting bad. Nothing to worry about.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Easy way to confirm the upper engine mount , look though the oblong hole in the passenger side inner fender, if the head of the serpentine tensioner bolt is low , the mount is toast.

This one is centre, I just replaced the upper mount.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:16 AM

I guarantee that at 100,000 miles the shocks and struts are bad. Nobody ever notices anymore because they don't leak oil when bad.

Quick Reply: Got a grocery list of repairs today