Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How to change your own oil.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks

I changed the oil for the first time and the tutorial was a great help. Went smooth.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM

Adapter / Extender?

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
This will stop the oil from going all over the place get the one with the nipple and put a foot of hose on it no more mess http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
Did you have to use the adapter to extend the drain? I had got the F107 quick drain valve but when I went to put it on it would not thread all the way in to my 2009 LT with 2.4L engine.

I guess I'll have to get the ADP-107 adapter and try that when I change the oil in the Spring.

BTW, this was absolutely the easiest car I ever changed the oil on and it will be so much easier/smoother when I install the valve! (I put one on my Jeep Patriot)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Works Great...
I have on my two GM Vehicles...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Nice work, Solman....

Clear, concise...well thought out, for the presentation.

May I add, and this is each individuals choice, after pulling the pan drain plug, go to the oil filter and perform the filter change. That way, the oil has time to drain more COMPLETELY, as you are performing other tasks (on the test cars, GM had a written procedure to allow drainage for 30 minutes). Then reinstall the drain plug and refill.

Just a suggestion....that I have followed for many, many years

But again, nice work, Solman.
I've noticed that if you leave the drain plug out and dripping and then remove the filter a gush of oil makes it's way to the oil pan. Must fluid lock up in there somewhere. I always prime the new filter with fresh oil prior to installing. A couple of quick turns on 'start' without sequencing ignition seems to prime the system even more eliminating that bit of a rattle on the re-start. Watch the oil pressure light.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM

I use ramps on my driveway.
The SS is too low to get it done without.
My driveway is at just about the perfect angle.
When I drive down/up onto the ramps it schlongs the car just slightly back from level so the drain is the lowest part of the pan.
I have to use boards to drive up/down the ramps and peeps to keep the ramps from kicking out.

10 minute setup, 10 minutes drain & filter swap, 5 minutes to put everything away
Stealership wants about 100 bucks for a Mobil1 oil & filter change
I get it done for less than $35 and don't have to drive there and wait.

I also know it's getting done right
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mowgli
I also know it's getting done right
That's my thoughts as well.. Nobody will be as fussy as I am on my own ride..
& I like to do more than the basic pit-stop oil change, I'm looking at everything under it.. Just checking my baby..
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Lube?

What about lubing the chassis? Do you have to lube or are they sealed?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 PM

I have done hundreds of oil changes. Used to work in a garage years ago. I have always done my own as well. This is the first time that I forgot to put the drain plug back in before I started putting the oil back in. I got so damn excited about that new fangled oil filter that I totally forgot the drain plug. What an idiot. At least I only lost about a quart before I remembered. My assistant (15 yr old daughter) is having quite a good laugh about it.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Aogden
I got so damn excited about that new fangled oil filter that I totally forgot the drain plug. My assistant (15 yr old daughter) is having quite a good laugh about it.
We had a 1996 BMW Z-3 for 8 yrs (sweet hot rod) & it had the same style oil filter (top load open filter) that we use on the HHRs'.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM

I changed my oil but could not reset the information page about % of oil life remaining. I tried the two approaches listed in the owners manual. Ignition on, press on accelerator completely & slowly 3x in 5 seconds. Also depressed "info' and "rest" buttons at the same time and then cycled through the "info" button to get to the oil life. Guess I did not respond quickly enough when it called for reset. In the process of all this I was worried about flooding the engine so I started the motor. Now I cannot return to the RESET point. What can I do?

Quick Reply: How to change your own oil.