Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How to change your own oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Thanks solman, very nice. I also do my own oil changes and I thought I read somewhere to remove the filter as you drain the oil. I could be wrong on that one, but that's the only thing I do different. Well that and I slide under the car on the ground, with no ramps, which if I gain any more weight will be impossible Again, nice job.
I've always opened the fill cap.

I like to raise it up, makes the drain hole "downhill". Plus, never would have gotten a good photo of the drain plug.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM

Excellent write up and pics!!

The only suggestion I have is to re-order a little, in keeping with Snoopy's suggestion.....

Remove the drain plug.
Have a beer.
Look to see if oil is still dripping. If so:
Have another beer.
Repeat until either the oil stops dripping or you run out of beer.

Warning: If the above process takes a long time and many beers, do not forget to put the drain plug back in and add the new oil.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:03 PM

Thank you Terry, I will follow that suggestion..:)
Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Looks pretty simple eh?? Guess what? IT IS

Like someone else said, I take out the filter with the drain plug still off....seems like a bit more oil flows out this way

Hoping that at least everyone with the physical ability to get underneath a car will take note of these instructions and save yourself some money....I do an oil change about every 2 1/2 to 3 months with the miles I rack up and I'd go broke having the dealer do it. Not to mention I like to do it and like being able to put in what I want.

Goose
Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the size (32 mm socket) for the oil filter. I'm doing my own oil changes. The dealer charged me for 6 quarts of oil. I had them use Mobil 1 and they charged over $100 including tire rotation and "inspection" of stuff. The standard service was for $69, but I got hit for $7.50/quart extra for the synthetic oil.

I'd complain, but that dealer went bankrupt and sold off.

5 QT bottles of Mobil 1 is $22, filter $8, my time: priceless.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Why did they charge you for 6 quarts? The HHR only uses 5 quarts.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 PM

But, ya gotta change it the red-green way.
1. punch hole with hammer and punch in the middle of the oil pan.
2. after the oil drains on the drive (keeps dust down) ya know.
2. cover hole with 2 strips (crossed) duct tape.
3. fill engine with oil.
4. change filter, (oops wrong step), lose oil cap down the storm drain.
5. cover the new filter with duct tape and check for leaks.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM
jx3

Thanks solman!!
Will put info to good use this weekend. Oil life is currently at 12%, and dropping about 1% every 100 miles.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM

I will be doing my own in the future.. Until then, I still have 3 free oil changes, 2 free tire rotations, and I only have to drive about 1/2 hour for these... I'd say it's a good deal.

I had a shop do one oil change here in Enid (too lazy to drive that far ) and they charged $33. I don't remember what type of oil I used... Pennzoil maybe?

But now all I have to do is borrow my bro-in-laws jack, stands, and oil pan.. I got all the other stuff except filter.. Hell, I even have two beers in the fridge

Good write-up Solman!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wheelie7
Hey Soleman, I need your advice about something,

I try to change Wheelie's oil every 3 months, I don't drive much at all, by the time the 3 months come, Wheelie's OLR (Oil Life Readout) shows approx. 83 percent, My question is, is it a good idea to change Wheelie's oil anyway?, or can I drive him another 3 months safely?

Thanks!!
I used to be a die hard change your oil every 3K, but if GM is putting your oil life in the DIC, then it sure seems to be a waste of money. Many years ago I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic and in every car/truck I have had since doing so, I run to between 10K and 12K on the mileage with no problems whatsoever. My HHR currently has 4,600 on it and the DIC says I'm at 61% remaining putting my oil change at around 12K or so. Since this is the first oil change, I am going to about 50% DIC indication then I'm changing it and switching over to Mobil 1 due to this being factory oil. There doesn't seem to be a "break in" procedure with most new vehicles these days, but I would feel more comfortable changing that out as I know there is initial engine wear within the first couple of thousand miles. I highly recommend Mobil 1 and wouldn't have any problem going at least 10K between changes. Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply: How to change your own oil.