Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How to change your own oil.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by tleslie79072
I use to own a shop and I had (still doo) all the jacks, pans, funnels, tools, but it just too much hassel for the cost... My chevy dealer charges about $30.00 and Walmart charges about $25.. My time is worth more than that... beside I like to walk around on the lot and look new cars while they change the oil... When I took our HOnda in last time (t the honda dealer) they let me take an Element down the strreet to Starbucks.. KInda cool of them... It also reafirmed my decision to buy the hhr instead of the Element.. Maybe next time they will let me drive a Ridgline...... Life too short to change your own oil..
I think you are missing the whole concept of changing your own oil or performing work on your vehicle yourself. Its not about the money or time you could save by letting someone else do it, but its about the pride of doing it yourself and knowing that it was done right. Only people who truly love their cars would fully understand this concept.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

.... and it's kinda fun. :-)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by mcdavidhome
I think you are missing the whole concept of changing your own oil or performing work on your vehicle yourself. Its not about the money or time you could save by letting someone else do it, but its about the pride of doing it yourself and knowing that it was done right. Only people who truly love their cars would fully understand this concept.
And to know it was done right.........
Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM

Not to mention it takes less of your valuable time to do it yourself. If you have to sit around doing nothing, then you are wasting money.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

I'd rather BS with my mechanic while he does it. Not to mention he adjusts them back brakes on the panel,and lubes the moog links and the polly bushings while it is up in the air. I get my Mobile one at Costco 4.16 a quart,wicks filters 4.50, Chuck charges me 10.00 so it's 35.33 total.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM

tleslie79072 made that statement over 6 years ago, bad grammar, spelling, syntax, and all. He hasn't been here in 4 years. I do change my own oil but understand his point since oil changes really aren't 'rocket science'. I'd side with you guys more on the 'doing the work yourself and knowing is was done right' aspect when it comes to other repairs.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Well said and enough said, I just don't like those fast lube joints looking to scare me into spending the money I save by doing my on work as I have for the last 45 years, and that pride and attention to detail thing my wife refers to as being anal!! about or cars. I offered to teach our niece how to change her own, she took her '07 Dodge Caliber into one of those places she came out with a new air filter,( I had installed a $56.00 K&N air filter for her, they trashed that) and they vacuumed out the trans fluid but did not change the trans filter, and the fluid was down by the time she got to my place.
I changed the trans fluid and filter for her, and they tried to sell her the same service again at her next oil change, just 5,000 Klms later, thank goodness she called me and let me tell them to leave it alone saved her $75.00.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 PM

The original write up seems pretty complete, but I wanted to drop a link to this HHR oil change article for anyone that it may help: Changing the Oil on a Chevy HHR

I've had too many experiences with terrible oil changes from dealers to quick lube places, I simply don't bother letting anyone else do this... It's super simple, and why not take the opportunity to learn more about your car?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed, on learning more about your car. And that link is a good find - thanks for posting it.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by carbonite
The original write up seems pretty complete, but I wanted to drop a link to this HHR oil change article for anyone that it may help: Changing the Oil on a Chevy HHR

I've had too many experiences with terrible oil changes from dealers to quick lube places, I simply don't bother letting anyone else do this... It's super simple, and why not take the opportunity to learn more about your car?
Thanks for the addition to the post.

Quick Reply: How to change your own oil.