Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How To Install K&N Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:13 PM

How To Install K&N Filter?

Just got me a new k&n filter for my hhr and I can't figure out how to get the filter housing off so i can replace stock filter with my new k&n filter?

Does anyone know how to do this on a stock hhr?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
rhoss1
Old 05-31-2006, 06:20 PM

The search feature is your friend. I typed in air filter remove and got this information off a post by Mike from SoCalHHR's.

From the Owner's Manual:

To inspect or replace the filter, do the following:

1. Disconnect the MAF sensor, PCV hose, and both ducts.

2. Pull the entire system from the top of the engine.

3. Flip the system over and place it on a soft, non-abrasive surface.

4. Remove the screws that hold the housing and cover together and lift off the housing.

5. Inspect or replace the engine air cleaner/filter.

6. Reverse the steps to reinstall the system. Be sure to reinstall the housing tightly.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:37 PM

thanks courthousedeb,

I disconnected the MAF sensor, Then i unhooked the pvc hose and both ducts. But I still could'nt get that filter housing off, I don't know if something else is keeping it from coming lose or what. I did not want to pull to hard because I thought i might break something. I done a search on the internet but its to new of a model and there is nothing posted about it yet.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 PM

once you have the hoses disconnected, just pull up hard...you won't break anything
Old 06-01-2006, 07:01 PM

On the 2.4 --- Well there are 2 nuts on the bracket that runs from the bottom of the air box to the exhaust manifold.....then just pull up to remove the air box from the gromet/stud on the top of the head...left-front side looking down......Then you get to back out all eight of those screw to uncover the filter......They (GM) must of thought it was going somewhere

Last edited by Bowtie388SBC; 06-03-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bowtie388SBC
They (GM) must of thought it was going somewhere
Well, all the fuses were coming loose so bad....

Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
The search feature is your friend. I typed in air filter remove and got this information off a post by Mike from SoCalHHR's.

From the Owner's Manual:

To inspect or replace the filter, do the following:

1. Disconnect the MAF sensor, PCV hose, and both ducts.

2. Pull the entire system from the top of the engine.

3. Flip the system over and place it on a soft, non-abrasive surface.

4. Remove the screws that hold the housing and cover together and lift off the housing.

5. Inspect or replace the engine air cleaner/filter.

6. Reverse the steps to reinstall the system. Be sure to reinstall the housing tightly.
I love the way the automakers seem to go out of their way to make the simplest job a real hassle. Sometimes I think they do it just to force some of the owners who are a little less handy with tools, to take their vehicles back to the dealer for every little thing. And then get charged an arm and a leg for doing it.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
I love the way the automakers seem to go out of their way to make the simplest job a real hassle. Sometimes I think they do it just to force some of the owners who are a little less handy with tools, to take their vehicles back to the dealer for every little thing. And then get charged an arm and a leg for doing it.
Yes, for the past 20 years they have designed that crap into their auto's....the dealers get the high labor charge and the Manufactures sell more OEM parts....it's a win - win - you lose concept!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 03:15 PM

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLYS...

Finely got that big filter housing off and got my k&n filter installed. I will post results here in a day or two.

Thanks Again,
rhoss1
Old 06-03-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rhoss1
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLYS...

Finely got that big filter housing off and got my k&n filter installed. I will post results here in a day or two.

Thanks Again,
rhoss1
I've had a new K&N filter sitting here waiting, for my next oil change, to install.
I'm not looking forward since reading about your troubles. But, Guess I'll take a crack at it! We'll have 6000 miles on the HHR then, so I'm also going to start using the "Lube-It" (From Fluoramics) additive at that time.

Quick Reply: How To Install K&N Filter?