Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How many quarts for a 2010 LT flexfuel? And is my engine 2.2 or 2.4l?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Not everyone uses the dipstick to refill after changing. Some use the specs or experience and put in the proper amount.
But it is still quicker and easier to just open your glovebox and pick up the OM. You don't have to type or wait for an answer and the answer comes directly from the manufacturer, not from a bunch of us shutins with nothing better to do.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Not everyone uses the dipstick to refill after changing. Some use the specs or experience and put in the proper amount.
Sorry, but those not using the dipstick to check are being rather foolhardy. One risks overfilling otherwise, which is not good for the seals/gaskets etc.. Same goes for double-checking the drain plug to make sure it is not leaking.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 PM

Think with your dipstick Jimmy. Those commercials always crack me up. That being said I always recommend that you use your dipstick when changing oil. Even if you've done it 1,000 times before the one time you don't check it could be the time you accidentally put in too much or too little and harm your engine or other important components. It's one of those things that only takes a few seconds to check and then you're good to go. Plus it's always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Sorry, but those not using the dipstick to check are being rather foolhardy. One risks overfilling otherwise, which is not good for the seals/gaskets etc.. Same goes for double-checking the drain plug to make sure it is not leaking.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Just because someone has "experience" is no reason to skip checking your level on a dipstick. Experience should tell someone that checking the dipstick, is the proper way to check your oil.

If you went to a "professional" oil change place and you watched them change your oil, but also saw them not check your dipstick, you would be 100% happy with that and think that was normal? I don't think so.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 PM

After reading this thread I went out and checked the dipstick on my newly acquired 2011 2.2 LT. The dealership I bought it from said they went through everything (changed oil, filters, etc). I think they overfilled it by at least 1.5 qts. I drained out the oil (looked new, but who knows what bulk stuff they put in) and the drain pan I have almost overflowed- I think it holds 7 qts. Went out and bought an AC Delco filter and a 5 qt jug of Quaker State 5w/30 full syn (had the dexos mark of approval on it) and went to work. I hope no damage occurred during the 300+ miles I drove it...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 PM

One point to note: The oil level takes a LONG time to stabilize after you turn the engine off. Like 20 minutes. So, checking it while filling the gas will not be accurate.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
One point to note: The oil level takes a LONG time to stabilize after you turn the engine off. Like 20 minutes. So, checking it while filling the gas will not be accurate.
Really ? The OM says to check it when it has run & is hot, otherwise not accurate..
Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Try it yourself. I found that it's almost a quart low within 3 minutes of shutdown, 20 minutes later it's full. That is still hot/warm.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Try it yourself. I found that it's almost a quart low within 3 minutes of shutdown, 20 minutes later it's full. That is still hot/warm.
I have tried it, & I'll follow the OM, & 5 qts is perfectly full...
Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 AM

From the 2011 OM:
Obtaining an accurate oil level reading is essential:
1. If the engine has been running recently, turn off
the engine and allow several minutes for the oil to
drain back into the oil pan
. Checking the oil level
too soon after engine shutoff will not provide an
accurate oil level reading.

2. Pull out the dipstick and clean it with a paper towel
or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it
again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.

But then they do say that anywhere in the crosshatched area of the dipstick is fine, the marks are not really "full" and "add a QT".

Quick Reply: How many quarts for a 2010 LT flexfuel? And is my engine 2.2 or 2.4l?