Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

intermittant cruise control failure to engage

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:36 PM

intermittant cruise control failure to engage

HELP! Can anyone suggest a cure for my cruise control problem? Particularly when it's cold, my cruise control won't work at times. Other times it works fine. The failure mode is that when I press the "set" button I see the "CRUISE ENGAGED" message flash for just an instant on the DIC, and then nothing else happens. Repeated pressing gets the flash once or twice more, and after it stops and pressing the set button does nothing. I have brought it in to the dealer and they have not been able to reproduce the problem. They charged me $50 installed, just to be able to do something (and make money) for a $10 brake switch which they told me often fixes cruise control problems. It accomplished nothing. Has anyone else had this problem and know the fix for it?

Harlan / Doctuh

Addendum: I have four high-quality LEDs in my high-mount brake light and they all work, as do all LEDs in the IPCW brake/backup/stop/turn signals in the back.

Addendum: This tends to happen when it's cold, and not when it's warm.

Last edited by Doctuh; 03-11-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: answer questions from other posters
Old 03-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Have you checked the taillights and stop lights to assure they are working properly.....and especially, the high mounted brake light in the top of the hatch window. I believe someone indicated they need to be functioning properly for the cruise to work......and I agree, it's a weird setup.

I'd say you need to "bug" the dealer. They installed the brake switch, as a correction, and it did not cure the problem. You should have a $50 credit if you handle it correctly.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Could be one of the bulbs in the high mounted brake light is loose.

Strange that radco just posted the exact problem.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Could be one of the bulbs in the high mounted brake light is loose.

Strange that radco just posted the exact problem.
I noticed this thread after I posted mine lol, funny how things run in pairs sometimes.. I have all my stop lights working but am going to check to see if any are loose. As mentioned here and other threads that can sometime's be a issue. I post if I find the issue with mine, For all who posted helps topic's I want to say Thank You

Rich
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Administrator

the rear hatch third brake light bulbs could be the issue, not enough resistance in the LED's to make the BCM think there are bulbs there, try putting the original bulbs in just to test this, and check for a loose ground at the hatch light area.