Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Light pattern screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Light pattern screwed up

One reason I had been trying to get HID projector lights is the screwy light pattern from my HHR. I believe I have the problem isolated. The passenger-side low beam puts out a distorted, concentrated area of light and the rest of the pattern is dark. The high beam isn't perfect, but the distortion is relatively minor. The driver-side low beam puts out an evenly diffused pattern. Is this a problem with the headlight assembly? Do I need to replace my passenger headlight assembly with a new one?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Deceased

Well if you've changed out the headlamp bulb and are still getting the odd cutoff patterns, it points to a distorted reflector in the light assembly itself. If you haven't changed the bulb on that side, try changing the bulb as they can have defects in the filaments or the bulb itself that can throw the aim and pattern off.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Not the bulb

I hit a bale of hay with the passenger side of my HHR. Body shop replaced the fender liner and fog lamp. The panels near the light were out of position, and had to be removed and reinstalled. The shop put in blue aftermarket bulbs for free, because they knew I was interested in HIDs, without telling me. Of course, one burned out almost immediately and they put regular halogens back in again. The passenger side light has had this problem for a while, and I'm not sure if it predates my hitting the bale of hay. However, it clearly is not a bulb problem, so I probably have a distorted reflector and need to replace the light assembly.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Deceased

Sure sounds like it, maybe someone here who's gone the way of the Depo's will have a headlight they're willing to cough up.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM

replacement headlight vs Depos

Yeah, I either need to replace my passenger light or go with the Depos myself, since my dream of HID projectors is not to be. I had been doing some appearance things (like black center caps) to have a black theme with my black paint, but I have not been consistent about it. I bought ruby red LED tail lights because I wanted the lights to look as close to stock in color since the change to LEDs was a lot. The depos would look nice with my black car, but frankly I feel like I'm done with appearance mods, and want to keep costs down. There are some scratches on the glass on my hatch, and weird distortions on the hatch bowtie (it's physically intact but looks like someone took a bite out of it) which I am simply not bothering to fix due to cost and the lack of functional benefit (you can barely see the hatch scratches from inside the car). So, I think I would be best served by a good-condition, used, functional passenger light assembly that was pulled for a depo upgrade. If no one replies through this thread, I will put it in the classifieds as a wanted item.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM

I just did the depos, I think you would be happy with them. For the small price over the stockers, Id go for them.
Also, I noticed that the sealant used on them was fairly soft, which means they *might* have a better chance of coming apart to put in projectors.
As for the bowtie, thats common. They often last only a couple years until water gets in. Try painting it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Used original passenger headlight is $45 delivered on eBay

Does anyone have one available within the HHR forum?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 PM

I have two
The problem with selling one is, what do I do with the other one?
Ebay for a single one sounds like the best Ive seen yet.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Alignment

I just got the car back from the dealer to fix something else. They wondered whether the body shop might have misaligned the headlights, since they weren't experienced with them. They said that the body shop might have confused the headlight adjustment screws with installation screws. I will have the body shop try to aim the lights again before I replace anything.

Regarding the reply above, if you have both headlights to sell and I only need one, then post the other one on here via classified or sell on eBay yourself!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Align the body to the headlights!

Body shop affiliated with good dealer says that the problem is that the headlight isn't straight. When there is a problem with horizontal adjustment in an HHR, you adjust the body of the vehicle to achieve correct headlight aim. You don't move the bulb, you move the rest of the car - well, really you mount the assembly correctly, which the previous shop didn't do.

Quick Reply: Light pattern screwed up