Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

maintaining the "wood"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM

Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Silverbelle... I am so interested in seeing your car, as I have a woody too.

Mitzi is wearing a vinyl decal with vinyl trim, which manages somehow to look really WOODY . My kit was ordered by the service manager at the dealership and was put on basically because she wanted to see how good it could look. When I saw the car, I bought it on the spot.

Mine is a year 1 (06) and the decal area has only 1 dent which I think I can get fixed pretty successfully. True enough though, the trim is pitted and wearing a bit, and I don't drive the car that much really...just errands on the weekend and around town a bit. I think it still looks wonderful.

My hubby just uses quick detail on it, and wipes it clean. He never allows Mitzi to get really dirty though, always a bath every week. I'm sorry I can't give you any other suggestions, after all, it's vinyl...it's temporary and a lot of it is up to luck. There's still a beautiful HHR under the decal, when the time comes that it has to go.

Note: there are several woody kits out there (or there used to be) and so there are a lot of cool looks, and maybe as many ways to care for them, who knows? Best of luck - - I just love the retro look of mine and the way it makes some people smile and want to come over and say hi to us.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 PM

its a vinyl pt woody kit the original owner said just mild soap and water no wax im trying to upload pics right now just my old pc takes 4 ever
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Cheri-

I would have never guessed Mitzi is vinyl wrapped. Looks very good. But I've never seen more than pics..

No worry about termites then...
Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM

As for detailing, anytime I deal with Vinyl, I just wash and throw some decent wax on it. I have had in past even threw some Meguiars Show Car Glaze as it does have oils that can help revitalize worn or dry paint. It may penetrate the pores in the vinyl.

The one thing is that if there is any stains or marks, there is not much you can do. I had a car that had Water/Acid Rain stains on their silver stripes and I got it looking better but thats bout it.

Putting some Barrier of protection and regular washing will help best preserve any surface.