Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Mechanics Veto Extending Oil Changes Bucking New Trend

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Oil changes are easy money for shops, dealerships, etc - the markup is pretty big on supplies. Of course they are going to be against it.
Complete B.S. I know for a fact that my employer (a GM dealership) looses money on every oil change. I'm don't know if the quick and crappy lube places or if all dealers are the same. Our oil changes cost the dealership $32 and we charge $25 for a 5 quart system. The whole point of a dealership offering oil changes is to get their customers back in the door and do a quality job making sure that everything gets checked and all issues addressed I.E. upselling acctual money making services such a tranny flushes brakes etc. I don't know that 3000 mile oil changes are nessesary any more I go about 6000 between oil changes but I also run synthetic. I do believe that not only has oil technology improve greatly but engines as well with less blow by and better materials. Anyway I think if you want to change your oil every 3000 for piece of mind I say go for it. Its kind of an outdated way of thinking though.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 AM

You might think it's B.S. from your standpoint, but look at it from my perspective.

It costs $45 for a dealership oil change here. $14 for bulk oil, $6 for the filter. The rest is labour (portion of the $99/hour labour rate), taxes, and environmental fees. If you provide your own oil, the filter is $12
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM

That sounds a little out of line to me but our shop rate is only $72\hr. Our oil costs us almost $3 a quart and we end up selling it for $2. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to pass that on to the customer but you can't because we still have to be competitive with other shops. There for I just can't see how they could be making money either unless they have some one changing the oil for free.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by GuitHHR
Our oil costs us almost $3 a quart and we end up selling it for $2.
I hightly doubt a dealership pays $3 a qt for it's oil, expecially dino and bulk. Maybe synthetic. But I bet those are not a $25 oil change.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I hightly doubt a dealership pays $3 a qt for it's oil, expecially dino and bulk. Maybe synthetic. But I bet those are not a $25 oil change.
I've seen the invoice first hand and you're calling me a liar. WTF
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM

If your dealership is paying $3 a qt for it's own oil. They should shop else where.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 AM

I can buy a better oil than Goodwrench bulk oil for less than $3 retail. Mobil Clean 5000 for example.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe the shipping is the extra cost. GM Dealer Parts sells 50 gallon drums of Goodwrench 5w-30 for $259 and change plus shipping (which by the way, I believe is Mobil Oil)
Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Maybe the shipping is the extra cost. GM Dealer Parts sells 50 gallon drums of Goodwrench 5w-30 for $259 and change plus shipping (which by the way, I believe is Mobil Oil)
That is $1.295 a qt. So that means the shipping is $1.705 a qt......

No wonder dealerships go under.....
Old 07-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Been here before, so I'll limit my response.

I'm in line with "Crafty". These Certified Mechanics are just that...mechanics. They are not engineers/chemists and have limited knowledge on the components of oil. They are taught and schooled by other mechanics to retain or escalate their certification. I am not a total believer in the self interest theory.....that longer life oils cutting into their oil changing profits. I just think they are just uneducated (and that is not a slam) in the values of oil.

Bet if you asked, very few could tell you what the percentage of oil vs additives are in a quart container of a current product. Then ask them what is was 10 years ago.

I did agree however, with a number of statements that was made in that article.
Here is my 2 cents. I rebuilt engines for the dept. of trans. of PA for over 30 years. Yes oil is better & the engines are better today. The old saying " THEY DON'T BUILD EM LIKE THY USED TO is BS That's right THEY BUILD EM BETTER !!!!!!!!!!!
I could tell you some stories about are department when they went to 7000
mile oil changes. I know that we had COWBOYS driving out there & we always
will.
I change mine every 3000. 30/40 BUCKS is cheaper than $ 5/6k for a
engine. The equipment I worked on was 15000/25000k a pop.

So the short story oil is cheaper than replacing an engine !!!

later// rNr //mike

Quick Reply: Mechanics Veto Extending Oil Changes Bucking New Trend