Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Mobil 1 oil type

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 PM

Mobil 1 oil type

It is time for another oil change and I am curious what type of Mobil 1 (full synthetic) some of you are using......i.e. Extended performance, Advanced fuel economy, or the standard fully synthetic. How has it been working for you, and do you see any benefits using the extended or fuel types? Any and all comments welcome.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

kmcrae476-

I have been using Mobil 1 Extended Performance.. The benefit I get is peace of mind..

& still use AC Delco oil filters, made in USA.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Mutter, mutter, mutter - here I go, having to do yet ANOTHER oil change!!! Must be 4 this year so far.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 AM
geg

I use full synthetic oil.
In the summer of 10-W40, 5-W30 or 0-W30 in the winter (our winter is cold and snowy). I think 10-W40 for Texas will be very good.
As for the oil grade: I know that "Mobil 1" is popular in the United States. But I think that this is largely the effect of advertising campaigns, than actual merit. "Mobil 1" is of good quality, but there are more high-quality competitors. For example, the "Castrol" or "Liqui moly". I prefer Castrol.

However, this Russian reality. Production in different countries are often different. Products of one brand may have a different quality in different countries. Consult with experts.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM

Mobil one standard fully synthetic. Because I belive it holds up better than reg. oil.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 AM

I tossed the Mobil 1 Extended in a month ago when I did my last oil change. It was on sale and I would have been interested in it as compared to the Full Synthetic if not for the price difference but since it was brought down to parity with everything else I gave it a try. So far running nice and smooth. I will have to see how it does in the cold northern Canada winters I deal with!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 AM

For the most just regular Mobil One Syth is all you need. GM has the recomendation and that is all you need.

Other oils to the same spec would be ok too. Look for the SAE an API rating and it will tell you if it is the same.

No need to spend more money for high mileage oils or extended range oils as unless there is a need for it they are just extra money spent on nothing. More a gimick to get more money out of your pocket.

Read your manual as under extreme dutty use of extreme temps they will change the recomend oil type or how long you should run it.

Oils are like religions to some but all that matters is what GM states in the manual as to type and how to use it.

Syn oil today are economical as you can run them longer and their price is not much different than regular oul anymore. So there is no reason to avoid it. It handles heat, cold and break down so much better than anything else. Gm recomends and puts in what they feel will protect the engine under warranty conditions. So if they feell it will keep them from having to pay off on a warranty thy will recomend it. They use some rigid standards at most car companies and this anymore is not a case of the lowest bidder.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Extended range is NOT a gimmick to make more money, quite the opposite. They only offer it because other brands offer it. Believe me, Mobil wants you changing your oil every 3000 miles.
When Mobil 1 first came out, they advertised 25,000 miles between oil changes, just like the other guy. They quickly changed their minds when they figured out they lost 7 oil changes per vehicle.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
Extended range is NOT a gimmick to make more money, quite the opposite. They only offer it because other brands offer it. Believe me, Mobil wants you changing your oil every 3000 miles.
When Mobil 1 first came out, they advertised 25,000 miles between oil changes, just like the other guy. They quickly changed their minds when they figured out they lost 7 oil changes per vehicle.
They changed their minds as they found the original oil for that long in many cases needed changed sooner. Some drivers under the right conditions can go longer but even on the best syn oil if you only drive 3 miles and shut it off daily you do more damage than good to the oil.

All companies offer extras for more money when the truth be said most cars and driver have no need for them. Same goes for most additives if you change your oil like you should and drive like a normal driver under normal conditions.

Everyone is looking for the extra buck and will offer it no matter if you really need it or not. Just like dimpled or drilled rotors they generate money by the handful but you really don't need them.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM

I've been running M1 in my '06 HHR since my first oil change. My last oil change I'm at 3000 miles and the DIC says 80% oil life. I've run as much as 11000 between oil changes and have not seen anything below 20% oil life.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 oil type