Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Mobil 1 oil type

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Not sure on your noise. Syn oil stay constant warm and cold so flow should change little if any depending on the blend.

You may have something in the valvetrain that is heat sensitive and just tightens up with hot.

If you can feel the oil difference with an oil change just wash too as all cars run better clean too. LOL!

Unless you has some really heavy or odd oil it should run the same. I have seen where engines on like a straight 30 weight or racing oil may be a little slugish but most street oil will change but it is so small that feeling it is difficult. To be honest it is the kind of thing you need a dyno to really show if even then.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Lol..perhaps I have a sensitive butt dyno to feel that... I am an aviator who frequently does maintenance test flights..so, I am hyper sensitive to any changes... Just timed that noise, it goes away after a minute from cold start in Texas weather..
Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
When Mobil 1 first came out, they advertised 25,000 miles between oil changes, just like the other guy. They quickly changed their minds when they figured out they lost 7 oil changes per vehicle.
Excuse me, but I remember them saying "never change your oil again". But, then that was when 100,000 miles on a car was exceptional!

I still do go about to 26,000 between changes, and "I believe" that Syn is Syn. And, since I have put more than 1,000,000 miles on vehicles using my theories, with NO oil related failures; "I believe" that I am the most correct old fart around!!!

I have seriously used cars for at least 50K-75K a year with Syn oil changes at 30K, and have never had an engine problem. Brakes, suspension, body, fuel system, transmission/clutch YES, but NEVER an oil related problem, and that includes more than one 60's era VW with more than 150K on the (air cooled) engines. The ONLY car that I have had an oil problem with was a 1964 Olds 98 that had seen it's bad days before I got it in 1973, and then "college student" abused it to the breaking point.

I am not advocating a don't worry about oil attitude, just for S***'s sake stop agonizing about it. You would really have to try to make a modern engine fail in less than 200,000 miles, I mean let the oil burn/drip/evap, never open the hood, never notice a strange noise.

Check and maintain your fluid levels, that is all the "engineers" really expect from you! How many "soccerMoms" don't know there is a hood latch, but get 100K out of the family mini-van? GET a LIFE, stop making SLEEPER change his oil!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Excuse me, but I remember them saying "never change your oil again". But, then that was when 100,000 miles on a car was exceptional!

I still do go about to 26,000 between changes, and "I believe" that Syn is Syn. And, since I have put more than 1,000,000 miles on vehicles using my theories, with NO oil related failures; "I believe" that I am the most correct old fart around!!!

I have seriously used cars for at least 50K-75K a year with Syn oil changes at 30K, and have never had an engine problem. Brakes, suspension, body, fuel system, transmission/clutch YES, but NEVER an oil related problem, and that includes more than one 60's era VW with more than 150K on the (air cooled) engines. The ONLY car that I have had an oil problem with was a 1964 Olds 98 that had seen it's bad days before I got it in 1973, and then "college student" abused it to the breaking point.

I am not advocating a don't worry about oil attitude, just for S***'s sake stop agonizing about it. You would really have to try to make a modern engine fail in less than 200,000 miles, I mean let the oil burn/drip/evap, never open the hood, never notice a strange noise.

Check and maintain your fluid levels, that is all the "engineers" really expect from you! How many "soccerMoms" don't know there is a hood latch, but get 100K out of the family mini-van? GET a LIFE, stop making SLEEPER change his oil!
Years agi you could never change your oil as it would leak enough that you always maintained a some what clean oil.

Vegas used to always have clean oil in them since they has to add one a week or more.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 PM

I had a 1971 Vega that never leak any oil. Drove it from Calif to the East coast, put it on a boat and drove it around England for three years.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew

GET a LIFE, stop making SLEEPER change his oil!
Don-

That's Ok, I like giving everything a good inspection underneath & under da hood..
So popping the drain plug is no big deal..
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by reelhhr09
I had a 1971 Vega that never leak any oil. Drove it from Calif to the East coast, put it on a boat and drove it around England for three years.
They generaly burned it as they has no cylinder liners. They ran great just most used a lot of oil. We used them as winter beaters in school because they were cheap and would save used oil from auto shop so we did not have to buy it.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by reelhhr09
My first new car was a 72 Vega. I started complaining to the dealer when oil consumption was 750 miles/qt oil at 15K miles. GM replaced the engine when oil consumption got to 350 miles /qt. I traded the car in after 3 1/2 years at 56K miles as the second engine started using oil. I got the car as guy at work had a 71 coupe and it ran like a top with no issues. GM must have done something to frog up the manufacture after 71s.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

I've had a few Vegas, one I pulled the motor & at the Machine Shop I worked at we machined the block & made iron liners.. That did well..

But not as good as the 72 wagon I added a SBC to....Always liked the wagons, great place for a school kid to shag the GF..
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:09 AM

Is it possible the noise is just the fuel injectors and that it just wasnt noticed before?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 oil type