Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Mobil 1 oil type

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
I've had a few Vegas, one I pulled the motor & at the Machine Shop I worked at we machined the block & made iron liners.. That did well..

But not as good as the 72 wagon I added a SBC to....Always liked the wagons, great place for a school kid to shag the GF..
I just saw one of these the other day in like new condition. The old man who had it looked like the original owner.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by xrbeast
Hi all,
I just did my first diy oil and oil filter change on my 06 hhr lt 2.4 auto (just bought it a month ago with 61k on the clock )last night. Changed it with the mobil 1 extended and immediately felt the difference...before the change, the engine feels sluggish...now it's more responsive and pulls better.. Hope it stays like this till 5k miles later.

Btw, I used the mityvac oil extractor 7201 (that was intended for my other car, a clk320) for the oil change and worked great! managed to suck up 5.4Q of oil, almost all in the drain pan I presume as I did not undo the drain plug to check.. Filled up with 5 q and now it's showing in between the min and max line on the dip stick... Gotto top it up later to just below max line.

Now, I do hear the tappets noise on cold engine starts and it goes off once it's warmed... ( wasn't there before oil change) Is this normal? ... Maybe the new oil is still "thick" not as viscous as the old seasoned oil...hence took a while to get to the litters.... Agree?

Nick
Looks like this question. Was Never fully answered but it seems to be a good one.
The main reason this thread was started was to see the differences in mobil 1 oils
I use mobil 1 in my daily drivers but would never use it in my high horsepower engines
Brad Penn or rp racing oil goes in them.
Anyone using the mobil1 high mileage I know it has an additive for the seals but I know I read somewhere that mobil1 high mileage has more detergent in it which I would not want but I do believe it has more zinc which be a plus.
Just curious about any experience with the high mileage
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM

I have been using M1 (5-30w) in my 06 since new. My last oil change (90,000) I switched to M1 High Mileage (5-30w). The only thing I have seen is a drop in mpg, ( average from 30+ mpg to 28+ mpg) but I had also replaced tires and new brakes and rotors all around.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 AM

good discussion, I prefer Valvoline I have been using it since I stared in the field as a tire buster then when I was able to sew on the gold patches when I got my master tech cert. I know GM has recommended M1 on the vette but i guess it is a matter of opinion.
I remember once when a customer was having a tantrum about using Pennzoil oil and how all he would use was quaker state so just so happens we were getting an oil delivery and I showed him the truck that said penzoil/quaker state he had nothing to say after that.
The thing I have learned to check is the dip stick. If it has a tarnish to it then oil is not right some of the cheaper oils will do that.Anyhow like I said it is a matter of opinion if you like it go with it.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM

I talked to a mobil1 tech
He said the high mileage m1 has 200ppm more zinc and more detergents and a seal conditioner.
He said that if you have a car that is over say 90000
And has not used mobil1 then use the high mileage.
I have seen the mobil1 fail when compared to Brad Penn and royal purple
Rp is way too pricy these. Days and I am not sure you can use Brad Penn with a converter.
But I am happy with. The Brad Penn in my new motor I built for my street/drag car.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM

For my daily drivers, I stick with the regular Mobil 1. 2 Silverado's, my wifes HHR LT, and now I will use it in my SS. Never had an issue used in a DD.

In my Mustang (when it was running) I only used Royal Purple. Needed a better oil for high performance application.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM
geg

Until recently, I used Castrol. The reason - the manufacturer carefully monitored the quality of the product, including all stages of the distribution (it is hard to fake).
But last fall I bought KIXX.

This is a Korean oil, very high quality. It is not well-known in the market and is not attractive package so there is no fraud. An important factor - price. You can compare: CASTROL 5W-30 - $ 46, Mobil 1 5W-30 - 42 $, KIXX 0W-30 - $ 27 (all prices - Ekaterinburg, TC "Kanistra"). I deliberately repeat, at a low cost of very high quality, the recommendations of global brands.
When spring comes, I'll buy again KIXX.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Where do they drill oil in Korea ? They are building some hot cars, why not good oil too !

Caspian Sea ?
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 AM
geg

Originally Posted by SS fan
Where do they drill oil in Korea ? They are building some hot cars, why not good oil too !

Caspian Sea ?
The Caspian Sea? Ha-ha! : LOL:
No, my friend! The Caspian Sea on the other side of the continent. Further than San Francisco from New York.
Korea, where Japan. On the other side of the narrow Japan Sea​​. Korea and Japan - ancestral enemies since ancient times. But this fact does not prevent Korea to copy the Japanese economy. The Japanese do not have resources - but they do real wonders of a mixture of ****, sand, plastic and microchips. Koreans do not have the resources too - they need be almost Japanese.
Why do they need to drill oil? They make synthetic oil!
By the way, Korea - the world's largest supplier of parts for the steering and suspension. HHR Links - Korean (at least on my car).

Last edited by geg; 03-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM

have used the mobile 1 synthetic on all my vehicles for as long as i can remember. change oil at 10,000 miles never had a breakdown on anything. 1996 ford explorer 5 liter 500,000 miles. motor home 425,000. my hhr has 175,000 miles and 35,000 towing a 1,000 lb teardrop trailer.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 oil type