Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Mr clean autodry

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:18 PM

I use it, but in a diffrent way. I only use the spot free rinse. I still had wash the car, but rinse it with mr clean. In Arizona no matter what you do you are going to have spots, hard water and the heat. So I rinse it and then only have to spot dry the car. Little more work sometimes, but you do what you have to do.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steelcity
waxing after you use the autodry is a MUST
I thought its purpose was to save time???

You have to dry to wax anyway. You may as well use some good quality car wash and a chamois to begin with. Then you don't have to wax/polish/detail every time.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
I use it, but in a diffrent way. I only use the spot free rinse. I still had wash the car, but rinse it with mr clean.
is there anything else that will filter the minerals, crap out of water besides a water softener?

thats the reason i was going to get this, just so i dont have to hand dry the car... i hate water spots... they are BAD on black... even worse after its been zaino'd

i love the black, but the birds, bugs and trees just love to leave their mark on it right after (sometimes right before im done) cleaning it.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by sunbound
is there anything else that will filter the minerals, crap out of water besides a water softener?

thats the reason i was going to get this, just so i dont have to hand dry the car... i hate water spots... they are BAD on black... even worse after its been zaino'd

i love the black, but the birds, bugs and trees just love to leave their mark on it right after (sometimes right before im done) cleaning it.
First of all, Wash the car, Then Claybar it. After that, wash it again and dry.

Hand dry the car with a Waffle weave towel or Absorber.
Take a Leaf blower or Air Compressor to the car, Get in all the little nooks and crannies, get a micro fiber towel to get up all the water you find as you go. Then just Use a SEPERATE microfiber towel and some quick detailer on the left over water spots.

Wax as needed. If you are Claybarring, you are waxing. The clay bar pretty much strips everything you (and Others) put on,off the paint.

If you do this, The Paint will be Smoother and less will stick to it.

Black is hard to keep clean man. I wouldn't trust the Mr. Clean stuff.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Wow really old thread......almost 2 years since the last post.

I was given a complete Mr Clean system for Christmas. I was originally impressed. But after about 5-6 washes, I noticed the water didn't bead like it used to. I think, even though their liturature says differently, it removes the wax, poly, glaze or whatever.

I stopped using it.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 AM

I went to the AutoDry website because this thread stimulated an interest with respect to "water spots". I have a black HHR, and most people agree that black - while it looks great when clean - is hardly ever clean to begin with. And if it is - it is only because great effort has been invested in making it that way.

And then it only lasts for a few minutes.

So ...what is a "water spot"? It is simply the solid residue left after the water molecules evaporate. There are lots of different solids in water - mostly minerals. A sub-microscopic scratch in the clearcoat looks like the Grand Canyon to a metallic molecule. So into the crevice they fall while the H2O molecules ascend into the atmosphere. So that's your "water spot".

The AutoDry nozzle has a filter in it which, ostensibly, removes the solid particulates from the water. No filter is 100 percent efficient, however - there is always a residual number of solids that manage to get through. So your "water spot" will be just a bit less opaque than your normal "water spot" - that's where the second feature of the AutoDry system comes in.

Water molecules have a tendency to separate from each other if not confined to a container of some sort. I am not a chemist so I do not understand the process which makes this phenomenon inevitable. But it is easy to observe so we all accept that it is true.
Now all you have to do is introduce a substance into the water which will make the water molecules stay connected to each other. That way, they slide off the surface of the vehicle as though they were a solid instead of a liquid. Sheeting action. They put some sort of "surfactant" in the car wash soap to accomplish this.

The results are: the water does not bead and therefore cannot produce water spots. And if any beads still remain, there will be no solid residue to cause a "water spot". (that you can see, anyway)

There is nothing proprietary about the AutoDry system. It does take the hassle out of matching up different filters and car wash soaps.

And since nothing is perfect, you will experience varying results.

That's the wau I see it.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:33 AM

And I need to use a spell checker!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 AM

I've got one....YUCK

I've got one with all the extra fillers and such.........It was a gift from those that should know better......(I thought I raised them better than that) But I noticed that when I visit them, they don't use one.......Well since they all live 1000 miles away.........they'll never know it's going in the garage sale next weekend.......Maybe some other sucker will want it after believing what they saw on TV........The old fashion way has always been best for me. over the last 55 years.........Have won my share of best of show awards at car shows and rod runs as well as my cars being in Hot Rod, Car Craft and other car mags. So for me the old way is the best way.......It's all a matter if you want to do a little work.......WW
Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 PM

Nerd Warning....

Originally Posted by kornellred
I went to the AutoDry website because this thread stimulated an interest with respect to "water spots". I have a black HHR, and most people agree that black - while it looks great when clean - is hardly ever clean to begin with. And if it is - it is only because great effort has been invested in making it that way.

And then it only lasts for a few minutes.

So ...what is a "water spot"? It is simply the solid residue left after the water molecules evaporate. There are lots of different solids in water - mostly minerals. A sub-microscopic scratch in the clearcoat looks like the Grand Canyon to a metallic molecule. So into the crevice they fall while the H2O molecules ascend into the atmosphere. So that's your "water spot".

The AutoDry nozzle has a filter in it which, ostensibly, removes the solid particulates from the water. No filter is 100 percent efficient, however - there is always a residual number of solids that manage to get through. So your "water spot" will be just a bit less opaque than your normal "water spot" - that's where the second feature of the AutoDry system comes in.

Water molecules have a tendency to separate from each other if not confined to a container of some sort. I am not a chemist so I do not understand the process which makes this phenomenon inevitable. But it is easy to observe so we all accept that it is true.
Now all you have to do is introduce a substance into the water which will make the water molecules stay connected to each other. That way, they slide off the surface of the vehicle as though they were a solid instead of a liquid. Sheeting action. They put some sort of "surfactant" in the car wash soap to accomplish this.

The results are: the water does not bead and therefore cannot produce water spots. And if any beads still remain, there will be no solid residue to cause a "water spot". (that you can see, anyway)

There is nothing proprietary about the AutoDry system. It does take the hassle out of matching up different filters and car wash soaps.

And since nothing is perfect, you will experience varying results.

That's the wau I see it.
OK, here is the ACTUAL nerdy answer to your "water spots". Water spots are caused by hard water deposits, calcium and magnesium. The only real way to remove this is through an ion exchange resin. The resin bead holds a charge with a sodium molecule as the water passes by the bead attracts the calcium or magnesium and releases the sodium. This in turn, "softens" the water. So I'm not sure about Mr. Clean, but the only real way to prevent those spots is to use softened water.....

And I have worked in Water Treatment for over 15 years, so I can back it up

Old 08-18-2008, 09:12 PM

You can get a product called "cr spotless"
they have a small one at sams club for $250

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=374509

Originally Posted by KentuckyGreaser
OK, here is the ACTUAL nerdy answer to your "water spots". Water spots are caused by hard water deposits, calcium and magnesium. The only real way to remove this is through an ion exchange resin. The resin bead holds a charge with a sodium molecule as the water passes by the bead attracts the calcium or magnesium and releases the sodium. This in turn, "softens" the water. So I'm not sure about Mr. Clean, but the only real way to prevent those spots is to use softened water.....

And I have worked in Water Treatment for over 15 years, so I can back it up

Quick Reply: Mr clean autodry