Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

OBD ll Scanner ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 04:17 PM

OBD ll Scanner ?

Has anyone used one of those 20$ +or- Scanners ?
If you picked up one was it good or just a total waste of $ ?
I just order the FIXD model for 20$ to try out and if it sucks its only 20$ lol

All I want to do is just read the code to have a heads up on a issue if I get one
What are the good Hand held models that you used in the 50/75$ Range ?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2021, 07:01 PM

They all read the code numbers. Most of the "explanations" for the codes they provide suck.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Here’s a list

http://www.bestreviews.guide/obd2-readers
Old 06-15-2021, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Just want to read codes ? You can get one of the apps for your phone (like Torque, etc.) Lots of those apps are free or $5 or so. That and a wireless dongle thingy and you're good to go.
I've been using the Torque and Torque lite apps for years. Pull codes no problem and clears them if needed.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:38 PM

Thank You guys ! Yea the one I ordered goes to the I Phone App. Free down load , for basic scan codes. Ill try it and if I don't like that FIXD reader it it was only 20$ But am thinking of the hand held maybe later.

Steve That's for the link
Old 06-16-2021, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Welcome, let us know what you find out.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:32 PM

I have the BAFX Products OBDII Bluetooth interface and love it. I use an Android app called Car Scanner Pro.
I have used it over the last several years to pass smog, diagnose transmission temp issues, all kinds of things.

A weird thing happened the other day.
The adapter came lose and the car went nuts. It ran horribly, shifted really hard, gauges flopping up and down.
The adapter then fell out on the floor and all was well again.
I plugged it back in, everything's fine.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:06 AM

I wanted a Bluetooth dongle so that I could interface with any old smart phone or tablet and a variety of apps.

After much research I settled on OBDLink LX because of its reputation for replicable connections and speed that can provide real-time data under way.

I use the free app from OBDLink and also the free Torque app, and between the two I’ve gotten what I need.

There are MUCH cheaper dongles that will probably suffice for just reading and clearing codes. But from the reviews, there are also knockoff generics with a variety of creative labels that may or may not work well.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:29 PM

You don't need any software that includes diagnostic tips. Just the codes, ma'am (Dragnet style). And can reset codes (don't get carried away, some are useful to keep and most clear themselves). Good handheld scanners can do ABS.

Some claim to be interactive with the OBD@ system.

My money went to the cheapest ELM 327 unit I could find. $3.75 if you can wait for free shipping from China. $4.99 for US free shipping. The module is a standar5d part design cloned by lots of shops in China, the ELM327 chip is pennies a dozen.. Bells and whistles don't matter much. Quality control is hit and miss, refunds are pretty easy if they don't work, they are so cheap that they don't usually want the item back.

Torque app is free for basic couple of dollars for Pro. Many other apps are available.

If you are enterprising you can find free software on the internet to use on a laptop. Tech2 software is out there.

If you like Arduino/Raspberry Pi/ESP8266 there are tutorials on how to interface with OBD2/CAN Bus.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:09 PM

That 20$ FIXD Scan tool works :) Tried that and mu sons which showed bad O2 Sensor and it was right
But will still get a hand Held unit. But just spent a fow k$ on hearing aids lol

Quick Reply: OBD ll Scanner ?