Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil Changed on 2011 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM

I change the oil at every stoplight and the filter every third vehicle.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by postalboy
I know, I know, enough about oil changes. There has been plenty said about oil types and miles between changes but how long is reasonable? Is 12 months the max you should go even if you've only got 2000 miles on your Mobil 1? Just wondering what people thought.

Just my opinion but if you take the 2000 miles in 12 months, I would have no problem with that as long as you start it up and run it for enough time to let it completely warm up once each month.
I would take a short drive if it were me.

The gasoline is a bigger problem unless you run your tank to near empty and "fill with fresh fuel" and a Good Stabilizer ... to cover the long down time.
Completely filling the tank helps reduce possible condensation.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 05-01-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Ya,,those were the days....3k miles valve adj, points and plug change( or filed and reset ) dwell set, 80K was valve job...brakes at 25-30K..tires that ran..i forget..25K? And those rope seals that always seem to leak! But they were fun! No emissions, easy inspections..real gas..everybody had a stick shift, even if it was on the column....

Originally Posted by Silverfox
In the 50's I used to mix kerosene with 4 qts of cheap refined oil and flush the engine in my 53 Chevy coupe 235cu. in. straight 6.
Let it run on the hoist floor for 10 minutes and then dumped it.
Then put in New Fresh so called quality non detergent 30W oil.
The oil filter was mounted separately and I used a roll of white toilet paper for a filter which just fit nicely.
Changed it every 2000 miles.

Those were the Days.......

SF
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Ya,,those were the days....3k miles valve adj, points and plug change( or filed and reset ) dwell set, 80K was valve job...brakes at 25-30K..tires that ran..i forget..25K? And those rope seals that always seem to leak! But they were fun! No emissions, easy inspections..real gas..everybody had a stick shift, even if it was on the column....
Don't forget whitewalls ....

I had a 40 chev Master Deluxe black coupe and in our neighborhood the big deal with the stick shift was to reverse the location on the column to the opposite side. Everything was backwards ... You had to be amordextorus or you couldn't handle it but Boy .. Was It COOL !!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 AM

i have a 2010 hhr Lt with 76,100 miles. i change mine every 5,000 to be safe. i was thinking of going 7,000 or more but on the advice of my friend (who happens to be a GM master mechanic at a dealership) told me otherwise. i'm sure the mileage estimates is an age old discussion, i changed mine yesterday and did it in about 25 minutes. oil looked ok. not dirty or contaminated. i probably could have gone a little longer but oil changes are much more cheaper than engine replacements!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM

I still change at 3000 miles as most of my driving is around town and in the summer temp. is over 100o, as I drive about 5000 miles per year, only use Mobil1 I guess my old school thinking, about $100.00 per year so I can sleep nights, why try for longer miles between changes????
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ilovemycarsassy
I purchased my car from the Ford Dealer who offered a free oil change when it was due. I took it back after 5000 miles, because the owners manual said that was normal. When I went to pick it up they said my next service would cost 39.99. They used a synthetic blend. I went to Oil Can Henry and they said it would be 89.99 because I needed a special synthetic oil.
I really want to take good care of my little car so which is it?
ANYONE
Thanks.

In your owners manual in CH.6 page 17 it states to use and ask for engine oils with the dexos™certification mark. Oils meeting the requirements of your
vehicle should have the dexos™ certification mark on the container. This certification mark indicates that the oil has been approved to the dexos™ specification. I hope that this answered your question. If you have anymore concerns please let me know.

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 PM

For the Quaker State haters.

I just went to Advance to get 5 Qts QS full syn and a filter for $25, and noticed a large "Dexos" label on the bottles. Pretty good deal for "Approved" oil!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Oil thread.. I have about 10,000 miles on my M1 oil and the OLM says 35% oil life. I'll change it at 10%. After running my '06 for 118,000+ miles, no issues.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
In your owners manual in CH.6 page 17 it states to use and ask for engine oils with the dexos™certification mark. Oils meeting the requirements of your
vehicle should have the dexos™ certification mark on the container. This certification mark indicates that the oil has been approved to the dexosspecification. I hope that this answered your question. If you have anymore concerns please let me know.

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Yes & if you google the "GM dexos™ approved oil list", it has really grown..

I switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge a good while back..

And I never go longer than 1 year with out an oil change & filter..

Quick Reply: Oil Changed on 2011 HHR