Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil Changes - Where do you get yours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Question Oil Changes - Where do you get yours?

I was wondering this today. Where do you guys get your HHR oil changed at? I know it should'nt take a genious to do a oil change, but you would be surprised. I had a incident last year with Walmart when I took my Dodge in to have a oil change. Long story short, they had to buy me a newer motor for my car.

I had always used the local Walmart in my area to do oil changes. But I had moved to a different city and took it to a different Walmart at the time. So now I REFUSE to go to Walmart to get a oil change. Although here they do price match it.

There is a Speedy Lube here that advertises oil changes for $15.00

Also theres a place here called Dependable Motor Services that does a basic oil change for $40.00.

Sears service center here is $55.00, unless its changed in the last year or two.

I'm debating on where to take my HHR. I was going to Walmart until last year. My dealership offers to do oil changes for $10.00 but they are a 45 minute drive for me and I would have to make a appointment. I can always get someone to do the oil change for me. I have done that in the past and it saves a little bit of money to do it that way. $20.00 bucks, depending on the type of oil you use in your HHR. Have to save the receipt for that though as dealership says warranty is void if I dont have proof that the oil is being changed every 3k.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Where do I get mine?

In my driveway....... Even with severe early onset arthritis and 3 degenerated discs, easiest oil change I've ever done.

Okay, not expecting you to do the same, but stay clear of the "speedy/quick/whatever lube" places....... Rarely if ever do they get it right. The "dependable" place sounds high, but they would probably do it right. If your dealer is demanding 3k changes I would make the appointments and do the drive.... that way they can't swindle you out of your warranty. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Where do I get mine?

In my driveway.......
Ditto. I would never let some else do it. I know it was done right because I did it myself.
Even if you take your own oil to the quick lube place, how do you know they used it? They might have kept is and put in cheap garbage oil in. You never know. Besides, do you want a kid with no real mechanical knowledge and who doesn't care if he does a good job or not working on your car? I don't think so.

It is the easiest oil change ever. I have changed oil in lots of cars and the HHR is the best to do.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Me three. I also don't trust those kids. My sister had an engine go belly up due to a filter that wasn't screwed on all the way by one of these yahoos. How good of a job do you think they are going to do for minimum wage?

I'm not sure I would say the HHR is the easiest to change, but it is on the top of the list.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Rest In Peace

I stopped a Long time ago using those 10 minute oil lube places, they hire degenerates at minimum wage and let them play mechanic on your car without much training except to UPsell you on anything they offer on Commission sales.

I know co workers that left these places with NO oil in the engine, crossthreaded oil drain plugs or just finger tightened, crossthreaded oil filters or not even changing it out, using the Wrong filter, and any number of Avoidable screw ups.
I know a few guys who had to Sue to get their motors fixed and they still got screwed in the end with used motors and then their cars were never the same.

I go to my local Chevy New Car Dealer and let Real fully Trained Mechanics work on my cars.
The local New car dealer does not cost much more than the in & out type oil places, plus you have peace of mind when you leave knowing it was done Right.
After you go to the dealer for service, Coupons start coming for the oil changes and that brings it right in line with the misfits at wal mart or 10 minute places that claim they do proper oil changes for less. I don't even see walmarts around here with car bays for oil and tires. KMarts had car bays Years ago but closed them years ago.

My cars have full GM service records, if anything goes wrong it's on them and they can't say someone else screwed it up.

I used to do all my own maintenance type stuff like oil changes and brakes and whatever else needed to be done on my cars but with 5 cars here 2 motorcycles and everything else with gas engines around here, I let the Dealer take care on mine and my wifes daily drivers, I still work on the kids cars to help save them some money, but otherwise I like my spare time for things I Enjoy doing more nowadays.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Deceased

The Chevrolet dealer, my used up back can only take so much in a day and I save it for mods and tinkering, I'll gladly pay someone to do the grunt work.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 PM

I bought mine new so I take it to the Dealership so the change is documented. I get a card every 4 or 5 months to get an oil change and tire rotation for $29.95. It's not worth my time or days of aches and pains to do it myself. Guess I'm just getting lazy in my advanced age. I'm not old by any means, just advanced.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Just bought it at Costco and I take it to Chucky to do it.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Last saturday in my driveway.Im a big guy and i didn't even have to jack it up.I got the catch bucket under there from the front and layed on a cardboard creeper.I really love the oil not getting all over me when i take out the filter.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM

I get mine done right in the driveway.... My wife does it for me....I'm spoiled