Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil Changes - Where do you get yours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MaryJane
Well I've decided to go to the dealer to get the oil changed in my HHR.
It may be more of a hassle for you, but in that situation, with the warranty and all, I think it will be more "peace of mind" to do that.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MaryJane
I was wondering this today. Where do you guys get your HHR oil changed at? I know it should'nt take a genious to do a oil change, but you would be surprised. I had a incident last year with Walmart when I took my Dodge in to have a oil change. Long story short, they had to buy me a newer motor for my car.

I had always used the local Walmart in my area to do oil changes. But I had moved to a different city and took it to a different Walmart at the time. So now I REFUSE to go to Walmart to get a oil change. Although here they do price match it.

There is a Speedy Lube here that advertises oil changes for $15.00

Also theres a place here called Dependable Motor Services that does a basic oil change for $40.00.

Sears service center here is $55.00, unless its changed in the last year or two.

I'm debating on where to take my HHR. I was going to Walmart until last year. My dealership offers to do oil changes for $10.00 but they are a 45 minute drive for me and I would have to make a appointment. I can always get someone to do the oil change for me. I have done that in the past and it saves a little bit of money to do it that way. $20.00 bucks, depending on the type of oil you use in your HHR. Have to save the receipt for that though as dealership says warranty is void if I dont have proof that the oil is being changed every 3k.
Buy yourself some ramps and do the change yourself. Those cheap places that do it for next to nothing... there is a reason for that. Lack of attention to detail. Just do a simple search online for cases where filters weren't installed correctly or at all, oil caps left off, wrong oil viscosity put into the car (which can turn the oil into a thick sludge). These are just a few examples. The oil changes techs don't usually get paid what a normal certified tech would be paid either.

I personally change my own with Amsoil synthetic and a WIX oil filter that I get from them as well. www.amsoil.com check them out. If you want a quality set of ramps that will last a lifetime, go here. http://www.raceramps.com/

I have a set and they are less than 4 lbs together. They are solid composite, not hollow and work like a champ. I can change my oil in almost the same time it takes one of those quickie places. Plus I've done it myself and know it was done right with the right oil... every time. You'd be doing yourself a favor.

Also, if you buy your oil by the gallon, you save money. Plus Amsoil sells oil that is up to 35k miles or 1 year and in some cases have oil filters that last 25k miles or 1 year. If you have an SS you'll be out of luck same as me and have to use their WIX filter instead. I swap my oil twice a year with Amsoil because turbos are harder on oil.

BTW: dealership is BSing you. They can't void the warranty for you not having a record of when the oil was changed. Because if you change it yourself, how will you get a receipt. They are telling you that so you come to them for changes. It's called he magnuson/moss warranty act. They can void the warranty if they can prove that you were negligent and didn't change the oil and it caused engine failure. But not for changing your own oil.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Well I would berky but I dont feel comfortable doing it myself. I know how to check all the fluids in my car and change a tire but changing my own oil is something I have never done. I think $10.00 dollars is a good price to get it changed by a professional that knows what they are doing. You cant buy the supplies needed to do a oil change yourself for less than ten.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 PM

I understand if that is the way you feel. Just remember that cheaper isn't always "better". Hopefully you won't ever have to find out the hard way. If you ever want to learn, don't be afraid to ask someone who does it themselves. Once you learn, you'll realize how easy it is to do. I hope you find someone reputable that has good quality. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by berky1976
BTW: dealership is BSing you. They can't void the warranty for you not having a record of when the oil was changed. Because if you change it yourself, how will you get a receipt. They are telling you that so you come to them for changes. It's called he magnuson/moss warranty act. They can void the warranty if they can prove that you were negligent and didn't change the oil and it caused engine failure. But not for changing your own oil.

Well they said if I change the oil myself then I have to keep the receipt showing when I bought the supplys. I have to show this to them when I take the car in for service. Since I'm changing it myself there would be no sticker on the windshield showing when it was changed last.

I dont know if this was true or not. I dont really want to test the theory that it isnt, LOL. I love my warranty!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM

I'm probably going to use the GM dealer, at least as long as my warranty is still valid...after that, I'll probably do it myself.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM

Some place that offers a free car wash and vacuum with my oil change is where I go.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 PM

In my own garage... I don´t want that a dumbass add 20W-50 oil instead 5W-30 (this happened to me with previous cars) or refill the fluids. Also Every time that I go to the border with USA I buy all the stuff that I need (oil & filters). I don´t want to pay about 16 USD per synthetic oil quart here in México.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM

I have a set of ramps, an oil catch bucket, and the mechanical know-how to change my own oil.

So I take it to the dealer.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Took my SS to the dealership ONE time...for an oil change. I had a coupon mailed to me shortly after I bought the car.

When I got my car back, it smelled like McDonald's, and had a fry on the floormat. It doesn't take 6 miles on my odo to change my oil, and last I heard, you don't need to eat fast food to do it.

They took my car for a joy ride. I was upset to say the least. Never again. I turn my own damn wrenches.