Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil Changes - Where do you get yours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway
I have a set of ramps, an oil catch bucket, and the mechanical know-how to change my own oil.

So I take it to the dealer.
That's my take. Working on customer cars pretty much got me to the point, that I hated working on my stuff. I have barely turned a wrench since I left Ft Worth.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

As long as my arms work, I'll do it myself.

Originally Posted by MaryJane
Well I would berky but I dont feel comfortable doing it myself. I know how to check all the fluids in my car and change a tire but changing my own oil is something I have never done. I think $10.00 dollars is a good price to get it changed by a professional that knows what they are doing. You cant buy the supplies needed to do a oil change yourself for less than ten.
The part highlighted in bold speaks for itself. If you can't do it, how can they?

Originally Posted by MaryJane
Well they said if I change the oil myself then I have to keep the receipt showing when I bought the supplys. I have to show this to them when I take the car in for service. Since I'm changing it myself there would be no sticker on the windshield showing when it was changed last.

I dont know if this was true or not. I dont really want to test the theory that it isnt, LOL. I love my warranty!
Total BS.......
Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

solman-

I agree...Total BS.

Although I do save my reciepts. A Dealer can verify when oil changes were done by hooking up to it, it will readout when, & how often the OLM was reset...
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
solman-

I agree...Total BS.

Although I do save my reciepts. A Dealer can verify when oil changes were done by hooking up to it, it will readout when, & how often the OLM was reset...
Key word: IF the owner reset it every time.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by asanti
Key word: IF the owner reset it every time.
If the rare occurance happens and a motor has an oil related failure, it's easy to find out just how old or how long the current oil in it is. The OLM is just another idiot light. Granted a better one, but just the same.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Another reason I visit the dealer is because I cannot reset my oil life indicator. I've tried three pushes of the gas pedal, and using the buttons on the steering wheel. Neither method works. The service manager and the technician (whom I trust implicitly) have told me that the oil life can only be reset with the analyzer gizmo that hooks up to the computer.

So... i visit the dealer.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 PM

Mine resets fine with the buttons on the wheel, as per instructions in the owners manual.....
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Mine resets fine with the buttons on the wheel, as per instructions in the owners manual.....
Same here, I don't see how people have problems with it.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 PM

I do my own on the SS, costs about $35 now that oil has gone up in price. Used to be 10 bucks cheaper. The only issue I have is my ramps are too steep and the spoiler doesn't clear. I've been using wood but it's time to find a better solution.
I really love how easy the oil change is, I have a Masters in Music and don't "turn a wrench" very easily. This is cake, even for a novice.

Jim
Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway
Another reason I visit the dealer is because I cannot reset my oil life indicator. I've tried three pushes of the gas pedal, and using the buttons on the steering wheel. Neither method works. The service manager and the technician (whom I trust implicitly) have told me that the oil life can only be reset with the analyzer gizmo that hooks up to the computer.

So... i visit the dealer.
Place your trust (and your HHR) elsewhere then as they're feeding you piles of BS. You don't need a scanner (i.e. analyzer gizmo )to reset the oil life monitor in your HHR. You can easily reset the OLM by either: A) pressing both lower buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously, wait for the DIC to read RESET? (I don't recall it's exact wording at the moment) then simply press the INFO button on the steering wheel to acknowledge that; or B) the other method is just as simple. I'm fairly certain it's the BRAKE pedal you push on 3X to reset the OLM, and this has to be done w/ the key in the ACC position. If you don't have an owner's manual you can download a copy of it in PDF format from this forum. The info I've given you comes straight from memory when I last read the owners manual almost a year ago. You can do it yourself!

Later
Allex