Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil Changes - Where do you get yours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway
Another reason I visit the dealer is because I cannot reset my oil life indicator. I've tried three pushes of the gas pedal, and using the buttons on the steering wheel. Neither method works. The service manager and the technician (whom I trust implicitly) have told me that the oil life can only be reset with the analyzer gizmo that hooks up to the computer.

So... i visit the dealer.
You're far too trusting. They are both blowing smoke. I certainly hope they aren't charging you a fee to reset too...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM

I change my oil myself. It is nice to take it in every once in a while (every year) to have the dealer do a good check over. They usually do a special in the summer through their email for a free inspection..and I'll take it in then.

It's interesting...my automotive teacher who has been in the industry for 50 years and has 2 kids who work for GM said you should NEVER EVER go by the oil life indicator. They're inaccurate, and GM has been having problems having to fix and replace engines, even when the customer was following the DIC. He also said that if you have a turbo you need to cut the typical oil life in half... So if you go 5k on a change, you need to go 2500 with a turbo since it runs hotter. Not sure if he said if that is the same with synthetic or not....but I never knew that.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM

>>>>>A) pressing both lower buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously, wait for the DIC to read RESET? (I don't recall it's exact wording at the moment) then simply press the INFO button on the steering wheel to acknowledge that; or B) the other method is just as simple. I'm fairly certain it's the BRAKE pedal you push on 3X to reset the OLM, and this has to be done w/ the key in the ACC position. <<<<

"A" doesn't work. Read carefully - IT DOESN'T WORK

"B" Brake pedal? I thought it was the gas pedal.

BTW, I have an SS. I'm told that "A" doesn't work on SS's. But let me repeat - mashing the gas pedal with the key in ACC DOESN'T WORK.

Believe me, I've read the owners manual numerous times, and had it on my lap while I tried "A" and "B."

This is all moot. The dealer resets it, and I drive away happy.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I change my oil myself. It is nice to take it in every once in a while (every year) to have the dealer do a good check over. They usually do a special in the summer through their email for a free inspection..and I'll take it in then.

It's interesting...my automotive teacher who has been in the industry for 50 years and has 2 kids who work for GM said you should NEVER EVER go by the oil life indicator. They're inaccurate, and GM has been having problems having to fix and replace engines, even when the customer was following the DIC. He also said that if you have a turbo you need to cut the typical oil life in half... So if you go 5k on a change, you need to go 2500 with a turbo since it runs hotter. Not sure if he said if that is the same with synthetic or not....but I never knew that.

Kid....

your teacher is blowing smoke, IMO. I'd ask him to provide a resource for the statement. I would bet, if you asked him, he couldn't explain intelliegently how the OLM works.......most people cannot.

As you may remember, I have contacts within the GM engineering community and the general impression/statement is, "....the OLM is the best thing since sliced bread....".

Not saying there has NOT been some minimal instances regarding certain special applications, but considering GM has over 30 million vehicles utilizing the concept........

And the algorithm that determines the oil change necessity is different for each drive train combination.....i.e. the turbo, the supercharger, the engine size and transmission combination, for example.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

VictorySpeedway.....

Come to the Hillsdale g2g....I bet I can get it to work. If not, then it needs to be repaired, as a defect.....but I doubt that is the case.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Kid....

your teacher is blowing smoke, IMO. I'd ask him to provide a resource for the statement. I would bet, if you asked him, he couldn't explain intelliegently how the OLM works.......most people cannot.

As you may remember, I have contacts within the GM engineering community and the general impression/statement is, "....the OLM is the best thing since sliced bread....".

Not saying there has NOT been some minimal instances regarding certain special applications, but considering GM has over 30 million vehicles utilizing the concept........

And the algorithm that determines the oil change necessity is different for each drive train combination.....i.e. the turbo, the supercharger, the engine size and transmission combination, for example.
No offense, but why should I believe you any more than him? He has two kids that work as engineers at GM....and he's been in the business himself for years.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Here we go again........... Ok - here is a third opinion: CrazyCarKid, you actually NEVER need to change your oil. I speak from personnal experience through the ownership of 9 cars and 7 motorcycles, and the miles racked up on all of them, and none of them have ever failed due to an oil-related problem.

You really never need to change your oil - what is the engine made of? METAL!!!

What are ball bearings made of? METAL!!!!!!!

I rest my case!!!

LMFAO!!! Jeesh some of the threads here are getting nuts - 25 MPG at 117 MPH!! where should I get my oil changed? What oil should I use? Premanent removal of front sway bar!! Trying to fix fuel leaks with Silicone!!! Two batteries in every HHR!

Lets get some real questions, like where can I get replacement flowers for the bud vase on the dash?

'cuse me, I'm gonna go take a pill!!!

maaa haaa haaaa

Last edited by whopper; 04-12-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: duh, i forgot about the two batteries LOL
Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
No offense, but why should I believe you any more than him? He has two kids that work as engineers at GM....and he's been in the business himself for years.

No offense taken. As someone else has mentioned that's what a FORUM is about. People giving opinions (or statements) and allowing others to judge for themselves.

I would mention however, that the statement would be more valid coming from his sons.......not from a second hand source, which COULD be braggart bravado. However, IF the statement is true, the sons would never mention it....if they valued their positions with GM. GM is real "touchy" about information not approved, especially something that is critical to the value of their product.....and the current market.

I would ask you, have you found (or heard) any info independent of the teachers statement. Any class actions, any court cases, ANY info at all regarding this failure. And remember, GM has utilized this system (with additional improvements) since about 1990, if I remember correctly. So the total sales of the vehicles using this system, speaks for itself (the 30+ million vehicles I mentioned). Don't you think you would have heard something during this time.....I haven't.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

I stand corrected...KId. Just received this from a friend. Notice farther in the description, that it is vehicle/engine specific.

Service Information 2008 Cadillac CTS | CTS VIN D Service Manual | Bulletins By Category | Engineering Information | Document ID: 2584522
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10287A: Customer Satisfaction - Premature Timing Chain Wear-Reprogram Engine Control Module - (Feb 22, 2011)

Subject: 10287A - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram Engine Control Module

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave

2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

2007 GMC Acadia

2009 GMC Acadia

2007 Saturn OUTLOOK

2009 Saturn OUTLOOK

Equipped with HFV6 Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to availability of the required calibration, this program is being administered in phases. The first phase included the Cadillac vehicles only. This last phase includes the balance of the vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 10287, issued February 2011.

***************THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2013.***************

Condition
On certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine, under certain driving conditions, and with extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information
No parts are required for this program.

Service Procedure
Engine Control Module Programming (Cadillac Vehicles)
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. When using a MDI or Tech 2® for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

Use TIS2WEB on or after 1/9/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.

Capture and record Engine Oil Life information. Write down remaining oil life as a percentage.
Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
3.1. Connect the MDI or Tech 2® to the vehicle. If using MDI, connect to programming terminal with the cable (USB or LAN).

3.2. Select J2534 MDI or J2534 Tech 2® and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.

3.3. Select ECM Engine Control Module--Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.

3.4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Clear all DTCs using the Tech 2® or GDS.
Use a scan tool to reset the Engine Oil Life Remaining back to the original percentage recorded before completing the programming event.
Note: If a programming failure occurs, refer to Engine Control Module Recovery Steps in this bulletin.

Engine Control Module Recovery Steps
Disconnect the programming device.
Power down the control modules connected to the GMLAN bus by disconnecting the positive battery cable for 2 minutes.
Reconnect the positive battery cable.
Determine which programming device will be used to perform the recovery steps.
• If using MDI, connect to the programming station or Notebook using a cable (LAN). Proceed to Step 5 and then Steps 6-8.

• If using a Tech 2® proceed to Steps 6-8.

Reboot the programming station or Notebook. This is to make sure nothing is in memory.
Note: Selecting Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen is REQUIRED because some of the calibrations may be erased from the initial attempt to reprogram the module.

Reprogram the engine control module. Select Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the programming event.
Note: Repeat Steps 1-8 above IF another programming failure occurs. If the second attempt to reprogram in unsuccessful when following the Steps 1-8 above, then contact Techline Customer Support Center.

SEQ Programming Sequence ECM/TCM (Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK)
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. When using a MDI or Tech 2® for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

Use TIS2WEB on or after 02/21/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.

Capture and record Engine Oil Life information. Write down remaining oil life as a percentage.
Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
Reprogram the engine control module (ECM) and the transmission control module (TCM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
3.1. Connect the MDI or Tech 2® to the vehicle. If using MDI, connect to programming terminal with the cable (USB or LAN).

3.2. Select J2534 MDI or J2534 Tech 2® and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.

3.3. Select SEQ Programming Sequence ECM/TCM from the Supported Controllers screen.

3.4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Use a scan tool to reset the Engine Oil Life Remaining back to the original percentage recorded before completing the programming event.
Courtesy Transporation - For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information
Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

V2385
Reprogram ECM

Customer Notification - For US and Canada
General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Notification - For Export
Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

Dealer Program Responsibility
All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through February 28, 2013.