Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Options for Front Wiper Blade Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Check this out Esmarkey https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-change-rear-wiper-22419/
And I have not seen refills at the normal parts stores for years, maybe at the dealer...
That was a good thread because it shows how to remove the blade, which isn't as obvious as one would think. The problem is that the poster purchased another wiper blade to make it work for $15.... I got the GM complete replacement blade assembly from my dealer for $13. After I changed it, I took apart the old one, and it looks like it would be really simple to cut down a cheap refill blade and insert it into the assembly. I just can't find those refills any more.....
I need one for my other HHR and hate to pay $13 for a $1 part. Plus, now that I have the new assembly, I could make up a spare using the old assembly and the 2nd refill blade and have it ready to go
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
That was a good thread because it shows how to remove the blade, which isn't as obvious as one would think. The problem is that the poster purchased another wiper blade to make it work for $15.... I got the GM complete replacement blade assembly from my dealer for $13. After I changed it, I took apart the old one, and it looks like it would be really simple to cut down a cheap refill blade and insert it into the assembly. I just can't find those refills any more.....
I need one for my other HHR and hate to pay $13 for a $1 part. Plus, now that I have the new assembly, I could make up a spare using the old assembly and the 2nd refill blade and have it ready to go
Only place I seem to find the refills is Advance Auto.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:26 AM

The actual part of the thread I meant was that PEP Boys has one for 11.99, and that the parts books deny the existence of them. Also I have not seen refills for a very long time, maybe just my area, but have looked. I think I remember thinking about cutting an old blade down, the problem was the little registration pin holes won't be in the right places. My recollection may be faulty though, anyway for some reason it seemed to be too much trouble.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM

I've only replaced the rear blade one. I picked up a narrow refill from Advance and cut it to size. Just remember to get a narrow one. I just used the metal braces from the original one. I need to pick up another soon. We have had a lot of rain over the past 6 months.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The actual part of the thread I meant was that PEP Boys has one for 11.99, and that the parts books deny the existence of them. Also I have not seen refills for a very long time, maybe just my area, but have looked. I think I remember thinking about cutting an old blade down, the problem was the little registration pin holes won't be in the right places. My recollection may be faulty though, anyway for some reason it seemed to be too much trouble.
Missed that part of the thread... $12 for cobbling one up, or $13 for the entire assembly? Hmmmmmm

At least you should be able to make 2 of them with a set of refills.

I remeber seeing the refils for like $6 a pair.... Must be showing my age.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
I put the rain x top of the line blades on , I can't remember the name of them but the name was higher end than the blades , Pricey, And i swear the original ones were better. IMO
They should be the Rain-X Latitudes.

Just installed a set on Dory and the clear better than the OEMs ever did. My wife's Infiniti also got a set of these and work great.

Only thing I don't like about them, they look unfinished, seems there should be some kind of cover at the attachment point.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Question

Has anyone gotten the OEM blade insert from Chevy? I found that part # on gmpartsdirect.com for under $5 each, but there is also a left & right 'insert' for around $10 so I am not sure what the differences are...

Originally Posted by JJ_
For those looking to replace your front wiper blades I've found the following options available for 2006-2009 LS:

1. OEM Blade insert PN 25892080 Price $8.00 dollars each at Chev

2. Bosch ICON 418A & 418B (Note Bosch has discontinued them). Currently on sale with a $15.00 Rebate through Bosch. Bought some at PepBoys for $12.00 dollars and put in for $15.00 dollar rebate. After rebate I make $3.00 dollars on the deal.

3. Have not confirmed but I believe TRICO 45-170 refills will also work with OEM Blades.

I know there are others, but just thought I'd share what I've found so far.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 AM
JJ_

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil
Has anyone gotten the OEM blade insert from Chevy? I found that part # on gmpartsdirect.com for under $5 each, but there is also a left & right 'insert' for around $10 so I am not sure what the differences are...
Yes, I bought two replacement inserts using OEM PN 25892080 (both sides) from Chev dealer and installed in the OEM blades. Worked perfectly.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM

I have asked several stores why they don't carry the refills & was told their customers find it easier to change the blades than change the refills. Ever watch some one change a wiper blade? They never read the instructions! Idiots! (Hire the handycapped, they're fun to watch) Now we have to pay at least twice more for a wiper blade than a refill & no ESMARKEY, you not that old. Last year was the last time I found wiper refills.