Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

pulstar plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:01 PM

pulstar plugs

Has anyone seen these before?

http://www.pulstarplug.com/
Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM

I have checked them out on the website,sounds too good to be true,has anyone tried them.I am running with Denso plugs right now and they are great,but maybe these are better??I`m willing to try anything for a few more HP`s.I`m going down to Boston in a couple weeks ,maybe I`ll order some and pick them up there.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Sounds good, and maybe I'll try them. But at 100 for all four they had better be worth it.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 PM

The OE plugs are already iridium tipped. Spark plug horsepower claims (over OE plugs in same condition) are bull***** 99% of the time.

AC Delco info on the OE plugs:

ACDelco iridium spark plugs are the latest evolution in high performance plugs. The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance. As a result, the iridium plugs have a minimum service life of 100,000 miles (service life varies with individual driving conditions.) Since iridium is one of the densest materials found on earth, the iridium-tipped center electrode is 50 percent the size of a platinum electrode, and 20 percent the size of a conventional nickel electrode. The secondary micro-discharge of the center electrode burns off carbon deposits as they form, for superior anti-fouling performance that, along with the tapered cut-ground electrode, offers enhanced flame spread during combustion. The specially designed electrodes increase the electric field strength at the gap, reducing the voltage required for sparking to begin, for improved cold starting and quicker acceleration. The application coverage of ACDelco iridium spark plugs continues to grow, with the plugs being backed by a 100,000-mile limited warranty.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Okay so has anyone forwarded this link to the dealer yet to ensure it won't void any warranty or if they agree it is a better plug? From the info on that site it shows the combustion being created so much quicker and more efficient and increasing the torque dramaticly. I wonder if the pressure created inside the combustion chamber is too high? I realize this chamber was constructed to withstand these repeated explosions but increasing the force too much has to be damageing in some way, since they were using standard plugs when measuring how much pressure is created during the combustion, how much is too much. I know a bit about the internal workings of an engine but am in no way a pro or expert on the subject, with that being said ,these are my concerns.
So what plugs are you all using and how do you like them? With Chevy providing Iridium plugs as stock equipment, I would not suggest using anything less, Platinum plugs are good but using them in our engines would be a down grade.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:38 PM

The 1975 Magnuson Moss Act prevents a manufacturer from voiding a warranty based on a customer's selection of parts that the dealer does not offer.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tracyboy
The 1975 Magnuson Moss Act prevents a manufacturer from voiding a warranty based on a customer's selection of parts that the dealer does not offer.
Been discussed before......and not ENTIRELY true, as you have written it. I'm to lazy to post any more . Use the search function if interested.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by tracyboy
Has anyone seen these before?

http://www.pulstarplug.com/
Talked to J.Meade at Pulstar.He said that they are getting Check Engine lights with the plugs on the HHR, but they are looking into the problem this week.
I imagine the plugs would work the same way that the Capacitive Discharge ignition units currently sold would work.The plugs would probably be cheaper than the CD unit and if they work as well, they would be the better buy.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Just as a little update, in the April 2008 issue of Modified Magazine, they tested the Pulstar Plugs in a 350Z and gained almost 10HP.
Im still not sure if they are worth the price, especially if they throw a check engine light.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Update: you can find the article from Modified Magazine in the "Media Room" on Pulstar's website.

Quick Reply: pulstar plugs