Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

pulstar plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 AM

I used to run an MSD ignition in my 454 ('78 Chevrolet model). It increased the MPG (amazingly!) and seemed to have more power in the top end. This was before G-tech and such.

Has anyone tried an MSD in an HHR? I'm skeptical of spark plugs changing power that much in a relatively "lo-po" engine. I understand the Ecotec is a wonder, reliability and emissions wise... but I don't think it was built for "power".
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM

GM has a book for sale that tells how to modify the Ecotec engine. With factory parts, you can get over 1000 HP out of it. In fact, a lot of race cars use this engine.

In terms of MSD, our ignition is totally different. There are no spark plug wires-each cylinder has its own coil. About the only way to improve things is with the plug itself. If you check the Pulstar web site, they have done tests on new cars that have similar high tech motors, and all benefited from these plugs. However, no one has tried them on any HHR's yet.

I am anxious to see for myself.

By the way, back in the late 70's there was a device available that did similar things to the G-Timer. I saw it sold by JC Whitney. It had magnetic sensors that attached to the drive shaft, and were read by another sensor mounted on the chassis. It cost a lot of money back then, over 200dollars, and I questioned its accuracy. The new G-Timer has been tested against drag strip timers, etc and is supposed to be dead on.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 PM

I should correct something, I said "lo-po" engine and the Ecotec definitely isn't that. I've already committed to a 4 year old that in 10 years my HHR will be hot rodded (fully) with V8 and rear wheel drive..... so I'm gonna drive it until the wheels fall off.

I have no fear of it rusting away beneath me either, even here in Seattle.

However, these plugs sound interesting but I definitely don't wanna put up with days/weeks of sputtering and "re-learning" to get a few HP.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tracyboy
The 1975 Magnuson Moss Act prevents a manufacturer from voiding a warranty based on a customer's selection of parts that the dealer does not offer.
As long as the non-OEM part does NOT cause a problem you are correct. However, if a problem is traced to the non-factory part, then repairs required due the non-factory part are NOT covered by the warranty.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 PM

This whole thread reminds me of the old Split-Fire spark plugs from the 80's-90's... Same claims..Same BS... Finally one of the hotrodding magazines took them on with actual dyno tests... The expensive Split-fires preformed no better the a set of new Autolites.. Until I see a good dyno run from someone here I would not change plugs

Last edited by Hotrodbob; 08-30-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM

I would also be concerned regarding accurate heat range cross-referencing, which is often an issue on 3rd party plugs.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 PM

Horse Power TV did a dyno test on todays show. They showed a 4HP increase over a new set of regular plugs. total of 6 pulls, 3 per set of plugs. Car used was a 90's vintage Vette.

Went to their site, but can't find the results listed.

Regarding Magnussun-Moss.... This only addresses the manufacturer... No so called lemon law addresses the dealer or issues they cause and dealers do not want to change that.

In a buy back situation, the manufacturer pays based on what the car was sold to the consumer for even though it is not what they were paid for the car by the dealer.

The dealers have NO copability in these issues. Until such time as the dealer becomes part of lemon law issues they will continue to show a lack of true concern for the outcome.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM

Maybe on the Second Pass they Released the Parking Brake! LOL.....
Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM

It is interesting to note that, today is 5 Sept. and "dparker" has yet to answer the questions I posed on this forum back on the 18th.

Originally Posted by Lee3333
(snip)

From everything I have read in Popular Science, internet, etc, the Pulstar plugs seem to be incredible. They use the same technology and theory as the ignition wires they sold, only the electronics is now incorporated in the plug itself (we could not have used the wires on our engine, anyway).

May the force be with me.
I think you will need the "force" to see any practical increase in performance from a set of Pulstar spark plugs in a properly-conducted "A-B" test.

I'll suggest that you'll be better if you stop reading all this theory stuff and concentrate on mods which have already been proven as practical such as reducing intake and exhaust restriction. My guess is, with a 2.4, you can gain 10-15 hp simply by adding an airbox kit, such as that made by Airaid, and an aftermarket "cat-back" exhaust, such as the new Flowmaster system.

I have both those products on order and will post A-B test results soon of the two items installed as a package.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 09-05-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added content
Old 09-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Hib.....

I was waiting patiently for his answer to you...but wished not to say anything.

Also, didn't someone else say something about installing them and providing an "butt dyno" evaluation?????

Quick Reply: pulstar plugs