Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Rear wheel bearing life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 07:49 AM

Rear wheel bearing life expectancy

Just bought 2 new front wheel bearings. Left side was OEM I believe and it made it 207k. Right side I replaced less than 8500 miles ago and that one is still fine. Bought the vehicle with 155k so I dont know its history although it was only 3 years old at the time . Yeah, 52k a year for the first 3 years. . So I have a new spare on the shelf. Question about the life of rear wheel bearings. I did a search and basically nothing came up. How many miles before you had to change one/both? Today they will get checked for looseness and noise. Looks to be an easy job.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:00 AM

They last until they wear out. Rears usually last a lot longer than fronts. Front are not the same part. I always replace things like this in pairs.
The only problem will be figuring out what combination of socket extensions and swivels to use on the one bolt.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Since 2009, I’ve replaced two rear hubs, left and right side in Oldblue, it didn’t fix the noise from back there, but I changed them. Now I just inspect the hubs every oil change when I adjust the rear drum brake shoes.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:55 AM

Thats a good call. When I replaced the Left front wheel bearing yesterday, I put new brake pads on it. The brake pads wore evenly and had about 1/3 material left. Surprisingly, they didnt have the wear indicator attached to it. Today the right side gets the new pads as well and I will adjust rear brakes and and inspect the rear bearings. Raybestos pads from Rock Auto. About $19 for the pair. The rotor looked great. Had to order a new torque wrench today also.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:30 PM

They outlast the front bearings and by a lot.

Front GM OEM bearings should last about 85 000 miles. At least that is what I reached with my second HHR but the road conditions here are terrible. Our roads are very bad. With decent road condition I think 120 000+ miles.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:15 AM

After the left front wheel bearing was replaced, a test ride at higher speeds revealed that the humming sound was cut in half. So, I replaced the right front wheel bearing. Jacked it up, and removed the lug nuts and couldn't' touch them. Way too hot. Sure enough, that wheel bearing was shot also. It was about 20 months old, a NAPA brand. Amazing that 2 wheel bearing go out also most simultaneously. So, new brake pads on the front. 2 new front wheel bearings. Both back brakes and wheel bearings inspected, they are in good shape. Had to borrow a torque wrench, the new one didnt arrive yet. The car is nice and quiet again. Ordered 2 new headlights from Rock Auto yesterday
Old 05-31-2022, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Good, thanks for the follow up, I always replace both hubs at the same time, # 1 shipping, #2 the other one fails pretty soon after the first one.
I have a spare set of the PowerStop hubs in the parts bin, the were on sale at RockAuto so, I know they are there when the ones in the car fail.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:13 AM

Accurately predicting the life of a specific rolling element bearing is virtually impossible in most applications. Ideally an automotive bearing is selected so that that most will last the life of the car, and some won’t.

The many variables makes the life highly variable. There are a bunch of thing to get wrong in manufacturing to ensure early failure. And if just one of the many components fail, so does the bearing. So be assured that there is crappy product out there that isn’t worth the package it’s in.

The best an owner or mechanic can do is know the symptoms of a bad bearing and replace it, using the highest quality replacement available.

Normally, replacing a good bearing isn’t the best economics; the original may have outlasted the replacement. Some examples of exceptions might be if you know the bearing has been overloaded or was of poor quality in the first place, or you have a labor-saving opportunity to replace a very old one or questionable one.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:56 AM

An interesting fact for consideration is that the hubs have ball bearings not the tapered roller bearings you might suspect.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Experience tells me, change the both! I’ve installed, expensive quality brands, Timken , AC Delco , GM and they lasted as long as the cheap EBay parts you see 2 for under $100.00

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing life expectancy