Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Removing Dealer stickers, and other things..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:31 AM

Removing Dealer stickers, and other things..

Heyas friends,
New here and I hadn't seen it elsewhere, but I was wondering something. I decided to ask here since other people may have the same questions.
I have what appears to be a sticker from the dealer on the rear of my car, and I am one of those kind of people who just hate the idea of free advertising for a company without my consent. The licence plate brackets are not problem, they can be easily removed. But the stickers really bug me.
Is there a good way <if at all> to remove them without damaging the paint?
I guess I have the same question for installing <and if need be removing> those chromed items I see all over, like the spears and such. Once on, can they be removed without damaging the paint.
Again, this may have been answered elsewhere, just wondered if anyone dealt with this, or had this same Question.
I am not a car guy. So some things that seem to come natural to a car person doesnt to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:39 AM
Founding Member

This gang will chime in this morning to help you out.

:Welcome:!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:28 AM

Just peel it off. If you see a little paint differance, just a quick wax on the spot will take it away. It's easy when it's new. NOw when it 10 years old, different story..... Paint really fades some by then.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:41 AM

I always take them off... don't advertise unless they pay me! Make sure the stickers are nice and hot under the summer sun to make them come off easier.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 AM

Most can be peeled off with little or no difficulty. If worse comes to worse, use a HAIRDRYER, not a heatgun, to carefully soften it a bit. Then clean with alcohol or if it's difficult, Goo Gone. Make sure residue is all off, then wax.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM

I used a hair dryer to heat the surface and then sloooooowly peeled it off. Used WD-40 to get the gunk off, washed the area with dish detergent, then put two coats of wax on. Looked new.

By the way...........WELCOME FROM KENTUCKY
Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

I took the easy way out and told them that they better not put one on. They put on a plastic license plate frame with their name and logo instead. At least it was easier to take off than a decal when I got home .
Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM

During my short stint working in a dealer detail department I used to be able to remove those stickers with a sharp razor blade without damaging the paint. I however would not recommend this method, way too much risk of damaging the paint if you don't do it right.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 AM

I pulled mine off as soon as I got home... big gawdy ugly plastic chrome piece that wasn't there before the day I picked it up, and it pulled off cleanly.

If it's on there for a while though, patience, bug and tar remover and dental floss does the trick well. Soak the badges down with the bug and tar remover and let it sit for a bit, then get the detnal floss and saw it back and forth to get the badge off... then more bug and tar to get any residue off from the adhesive. Then wash very well and wax ASAP because the bug and tar and the glue leave a residue that you will see from 5' in the right light.

That method is guaranteed to work, should only take 15min or so, and won't damage the paint under the badge.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by CrashMan82

If it's on there for a while though, patience, bug and tar remover and dental floss does the trick well. Soak the badges down with the bug and tar remover and let it sit for a bit, then get the detnal floss and saw it back and forth to get the badge off... then more bug and tar to get any residue off from the adhesive. Then wash very well and wax ASAP because the bug and tar and the glue leave a residue that you will see from 5' in the right light.

That method is guaranteed to work, should only take 15min or so, and won't damage the paint under the badge.
Easier method for older, rip it off and then use an eraser wheel. Then a coat of wax. Fast, very easy and little arm effort.

Quick Reply: Removing Dealer stickers, and other things..