Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Storing in a Heated Garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
That is similar to the heater we have. It's hung from the ceiling in the corner. We only run it when we're in there, but that's most every day. So it's not on all the time, and in the daytime it will cool down in there to about outside temp, but in the evening if we go out there we turn it on to about 60 or so. It is a fully insulated garage as well.

I tried putting a dehumidifier in there once, but it really didn't work. Don't know why, but it would never pick up any moisture....
You should run it at Least on your thermostats lowest setting 24/7.

Heating up the garage only when in use causes the steel to sweat, moisture codensates on everything. Need to keep the concrete floor from Freezing and the ground underneath it.

Keep it at 40-45 so it wont freeze. You'll be alot drier. I only use a dehumidifier in the house which is totally seperate from the garage, never needed it in the garage.

Going from outside temps to comfortable temps quickly will cause alot of condensation.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Most dehumidifiers don't work in cool temps, that's probably why it didn't work.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
You should run it at Least on your thermostats lowest setting 24/7.

Heating up the garage only when in use causes the steel to sweat, moisture codensates on everything. Need to keep the concrete floor from Freezing and the ground underneath it.

Keep it at 40-45 so it wont freeze. You'll be alot drier. I only use a dehumidifier in the house which is totally seperate from the garage, never needed it in the garage.

Going from outside temps to comfortable temps quickly will cause alot of condensation.
Not really an option since it's my dad's garage, they pay the bills, and the thermostat only goes down to 60.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Rest In Peace

Understandable. My thermostat goes down to 40. I keep at at 55-60 tho.

I own the house and I pay the bill, with it fully insulated its only like the house had another family room or something. We bought 18-19 years ago, and the garage was already insulated and had a natural gas wall unit, I replaced it about 3-4 years ago.

Going up and down like that with the temps will always give you lots of condesation on surfaces, and the concrete will sweat being so cold and the warm air hitting it while its frozen.

Maybe offer to pay a certain amount for the added heat bill and get a thermostat that goes down to 40 to keep it just above freezing.

Maybe your Dad would go for that, just the Offering to do so, may be enough to say yes. Never know untill you ask.

Otherwise you'll just have to park it and let nature take it's course.

Other option, cover it up with a breathable blanket and don't use the heat at all. That should keep the moisture to a minimum.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Other option, cover it up with a breathable blanket and don't use the heat at all. That should keep the moisture to a minimum.
Ha ha ha, that's never going to happen! He'd paid for that garage, and he's going to use it! Heater and all!!!

Thanks for all your input though, I really appreciate it!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Rest In Peace

With that option, I kinda figured it would go in the pole barn, in the Deep Freeze suspended in time until the Spring thaw.

Don't forget to at least ASK Dad.

(Youd be Surprized what us Dads are capable of, when asked.)
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Of course here in the Deep South winters are much different than up in Mich.

FWIW: If you just start a motor for 10 minutes or so, you are just adding condensation to the motor/trans insides.. Better to let it sit.

Then ride it at full temp for 1/2 hr or more to fully heat away all the condensation.

I still park my bikes on Carpet & always hook-up the Battery Tenders.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
FWIW: If you just start a motor for 10 minutes or so, you are just adding condensation to the motor/trans insides.. Better to let it sit.

Then ride it at full temp for 1/2 hr or more to fully heat away all the condensation.
Yeah, any time we start them, we always let them run up to full op temperature. Usually a half hour or so...let them get good and warm. I'm not too concerned about moisture in the engine, since that'll burn right out after a good drive.

IMO, storing is one of the worst things you can do to a car. Unfortunately, salt isn't great either. It's a double edged sword....
Old 10-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
IMO, storing is one of the worst things you can do to a car. Unfortunately, salt isn't great either. It's a double edged sword....
I would choose "Properly Prepped for Storage" over salt anyday..

But then again, we don't even use salt here..
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Here's an article from one of our local papers you might find interesting - http://www.driving.ca/theprovince/St...604/story.html

Quick Reply: Storing in a Heated Garage