Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Storing in a Heated Garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Here's an article from one of our local papers you might find interesting - http://www.driving.ca/theprovince/St...604/story.html
Thanks for sharing! That is interesting.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Thanks for sharing! That is interesting.
I don't agree at all with the part about spraying WD40 or other lubricant on the rotors - that could soak into the brake pads and cause all sorts of problems.

For a few months storage (even though rust WILL form) the rust shouldn't be much of an issue, as it wears aways with the first application of the brakes anyways.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I don't agree at all with the part about spraying WD40 or other lubricant on the rotors - that could soak into the brake pads and cause all sorts of problems.

For a few months storage (even though rust WILL form) the rust shouldn't be much of an issue, as it wears aways with the first application of the brakes anyways.
Yeah, that's the same as how it rusts after you wash it... I'm not too concerned about that. The rust will be gone before it gets to the end of the driveway.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM

sunny so.cal

thats why I live in so.cal in Dec. it may get down to 60f
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

CrazyKid.....

I've been thinking about this.

If I remember correctly (I'm from there originally), Michigan humidity is high already in the summer. I don't believe you'll find much difference in the garage during the winter (you would feel more, because winter is dryer than summer. It will feel like it may be higher, and it may, when you are washing the cars. But you are in a confined space with no air movement, which would probably explain the "closeness" feeling. Besides, when you open the overhead door, you'll lose most, if not all, of what is accumulated.

Now recognizing that you and I live in different temperate zones, I have essentially the same problem. I cool down my garage daily with a evaporative cooler. I'm able to pull the garage down to 78 F, from an outside temperature of 110, or there about. Using this cooling method, promotes higher humidity than normal....usually 65-70%. But when I open the overhead door to transfer/shuttle vehicles, the humidity drops and, depending on the time of day, takes several hours or the next midday to raise the humidity back to the previous level. Sounds like your dad also has a vehicle in that garage, so would he be opening the door on a daily basis?

So I guess my point is....I think you're worrying to much. Do normal maintenance that one would do for storing a car for 5-6 months and enjoy life. You could also purchase a small humidistat (Home Depot) for about $10 and monitor the humidity.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 AM

Well the only thing is, the humidity stays in there. We have a thermometer that says the humidity, and it's usually anywhere from 100% to 70%. We open and close the door a few times a day, but it stays in there. The windows are usually steamed up all winter long, that's how humid it is.

I'm thinking it looks like my dad might be storing his '72 Chevy in there this year because he wants to work on it. So it doesn't look like it will even affect me now.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM

I will allow here that I am a Southerner, and rarely deal with snow. However, my friend is close to 90 and has lived his whole life in upstate NY and Maine. I asked him why he doesn't park his car in his heated garage in the winter. He looked at me like I was insane, and said, "Your car will rust out in no time." I asked him to explain, and he said (logically) that it is water, heat, and salt that rust out a car. If the snow/ice stays frozen on the car, there is little rust. If the car goes into the garage each night, it gets water, salt and heat, and rusts every night. If left outside, the stuff stays frozen and you only get a tiny fraction of the number of rust cycles.
My great aunt left her '80's Buick to my parents. They got it with 20k miles on it. Yep, it lived in a heated garage, and the topside and interior look mint. The undersides are a nightmare of corrosion. My parents are constantly spending money on things corroding away underneath. Just sharing this, and like I said, I am no Northerner with snow experience. God Bless, Marc
Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your input! Yeah, that was my logic too, even though I've really had no way to back it up. The heated garage is nice for washing though, but I wouldn't want to have it on every day.

We managed to clear up enough room in my grandpa's pole barn to fit both my dad's truck and mine, plus my HHR. (Along with my grandpa's old truck, truck with camper, tractor, and daily driver....) Yeah, it's pretty packed!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Winter storage, & nightly parking, up there in the north are 2 quite different
situations..
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Winter storage, & nightly parking, up there in the north are 2 quite different
situations..
Yes, but it would be in a heated garage that would be used every day by two other cars. I was concerned about the humidity from all the water/snow from the other two. The humidity in the garage is almost 100% quite often.

Quick Reply: Storing in a Heated Garage