Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Sunroof rear drains

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 07:48 PM

Sunroof rear drains

Sunroof rear drain hoses have disconnected from sunroof drain nipples. Both sides now.

6 years ago I had found one was disconnected as I had the headliner down for sound deadening.
damp and mold shows that they’ve both come disconnected again.

the hoses don’t seem long enough to connect, they barely reach.
could they have shrunk over time!!!??!!

anyway, I’m open to ideas to fix this once as I don’t think the headliner will survive coming in and out again

these photos seem to show the hose is barely long enough. Not sure how to get in there to wrap it w electrical tape or something.

Right

Left
Old 05-16-2020, 08:13 PM

Couple of layers of shrink tube... They make some that is adhesive on the inside. Slip the shrink over before assembly, (Obviously) Seat the tube into the drain as best as possible and do the shrink tube over the joint.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Couple of layers of shrink tube... They make some that is adhesive on the inside. Slip the shrink over before assembly, (Obviously) Seat the tube into the drain as best as possible and do the shrink tube over the joint.
X2 or use silicone sealer to attach it or buy some vinyl tube the correct diameter and a plastic nipple to extend the tube. Still seal it all to keep from coming apart in the future.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 AM

Pretty tight quarters in there (I haven’t completely dropped the headliner). I’m a bit worried about burning it or melting the flimsy drain tube with my heat gun.

my brother suggested bathtub caulk!

i also found “rescue tape”, a silicone self fusing tape at the hardware store. No sticky side so might be able to thread it around the nipple and wrap it tight.

will make attempts today and see what works.

i would have thought a better design would be that drain would fit into the tubing, not the other way around. This isn’t a high pressure system so the other way around would have allowed poor tolerances and it would still work.
now I’m just complaining.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 AM

A question, does the rear drains drain out at the back hatch? when I was messing around with disconnecting the battery earlier there was a tube similar that was out of the boot and I stuck it back in... Just wondered if that was the drain for the sunroof? ( saved myself from a leak and didn't know it last month...lol )
Old 05-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Bonez
The rear drains are below the hatch door. Between the bumper cover and unibody rear panel. This pic shows the right side drains. There are also left side drains but they're not in the pic.
( I think I've posted this same picture about a dozen times over the years. Maybe I should give it a retirement. )

Old 05-17-2020, 11:18 AM

Yeah Ive only seen one then.... when it gets nicer out Im going to check those again, if I remember correctly mine was more centered near the battery? hmmm
Old 05-17-2020, 07:55 PM

Bonez: yes the rear drains turn in towards the middle right before they drop to the bumper. Yes you would have seen the right hose go right past the battery.

i went with heat shrink tape and then the self sealing silicone on top just to be sure.

dropped the whole headliner to get room and not burn anything.
glad I did but what a pain.

took the opportunity to move the aftermarket hands free microphone from the top of the windshield to hidden where the oem one is.
just removed the old one and 3m trim tape the new one inside.
wife says she can hear me now, even with the windshield wipers going! Yay!

Right heat shrink

Right silicone tape

Left

I’m going to pull an rca cable through before I put the interior back, hope to put in backup camera later this week.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:17 PM

new2me 07 43k original mile

New to HHR car. Second week of owning went out to find that not only was it raining for the first time in a while outside, it was also raining inside my new to me, HHR.
Looked around here and at some Youtube and saw this to be a common problem. I ran weedeater line through the front drains along with compressed air then checked
with a bottle of water and they both seem cleared. In the rear, I pulled the taillight access covers and saw the tube. After seeing the book illustration here,
I searched and searched just where the rear tubes terminated. I never did find out. Instead, I grabbed the tube and pulled it off/out of where it was attached. I then simply
blew on the tubing to clear the crap in the line on both sides. I then poured water through at the sunroof and verified those too to be clear.
The problem now of course is how do I get those tubes back into a place where the water can exit the car? From the picture, it seems that there is a line attached
with push pins to the crash bar? body? The tubes don't seem long enough to go very far and I couldn't feel any tubing under all that clad plastic..
at least I found that the tubes are all clear now! I guess what I want to know is how much and exactly what pieces need to be removed to get this tubing all hooked up again.
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2020, 04:54 PM

where to?

Quick Reply: Sunroof rear drains