Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

sway bar link replacement and alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 AM

I was going to replace both of them but I was unable to remove the other one. My alignment is fixed. My mechanic did not make any comments of anything else wrong so I am not no worried about only replacing one link. It is not causing any issues.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by geg
The_Engineer Do I understand correctly? You replaced the first link, but did not touch the second link.
If so - just for the future ...
replacing one link is not advisable. The real risk that the new link will not match the old link above. Even if a characteristics are identical - a new link is younger and stronger than the old link. Old link will die anytime soon and you get the new hemorrhoid.
Not expensive part to save money. Not such a difficult job to save effort. If a link is dead - Replace immediately the two links. Replaced and forgotten.
Not so much with sway link ends. It's not like rotors or brake pads. The "wear" a sway link end gets is relative. I've replaced single sway link ends many times.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:05 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Not so much with sway link ends. It's not like rotors or brake pads. The "wear" a sway link end gets is relative. I've replaced single sway link ends many times.
Yes, it's very possible.
I will not argue, because I'm not an expert
but you remember all those "many times"? Maybe at first you replace the left link, after the right link, then left again? Maybe between the procedures is a little time, less than you expected? You see what I'm getting at?
The problem does not pop up immediately as the devil-the-box.
GM links, and so half-dead from birth. All the guys have encountered this. In connection with this constant concern about links it becomes burdensome.
I change the 2 links at once to forget about it at 2 - 3 years. In addition, I use Camry links. It is more robust.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:41 AM

Mine are still tight at 196,000 miles. I have replacements in the garage, ready to go.