Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Those Pesky Push Pin Christmas Tree Fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Those Pesky Push Pin Christmas Tree Fasteners

Does anyone have a specific part number for those fender liner push pins that fasten to plastic liner to the front bumper? I THOUGHT I had seen at one time where someone had given an actual NAPA number, but I could be mistaken.

I'm asking because I'm going to be pulling my front bumper off to put DEPO's in next week, and would like to have spares on hand when I do it. I know they usually are re-usable, but they're probably cheap enough to just put new ones in. In the past I got a couple from Advance Auto, but had to buy an assortment card just to get two of the right ones. If anyone knows a part number from NAPA, AutoZone, or PepBoys, so I could call to check availability before trucking halfway around the country, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Banned

Javamann. I would recommend going to your local dealership. They about 35 cents a piece.. some dealerships will just give them to you.. either way.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM

That's a thought, Officer, since the dealership *should* have them. The main problem with that, for me though is that I absolutely refuse to step into the closest Chevrolet dealership. At this particular dealership (no names but the initials are J.W.) the guy that's usually behind the parts counter is such an arrogant butt, I'd drive an hour to go somewhere else if I HAD to. Now there is another dealer another 15 minutes further up the road, I haven't been there yet. I have parts stores about 10 minutes away (all different directions) from me, so I would sure like to simply call and confirm, then pick them up.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Shouldn't these just be any standard push pins that you could pick up at any GM parts department? Have any friends that work at a body shop? They might be able to help.

Our Chevy dealer closed shop the end of June - wouldn't comply with a company's demand to modernize and separate his establishment - he ran the Toyota dealership out of the same building. The owner also has the local Ford dealership (separate building/lot), which he appears to have more interest in. I know what you mean about not patronizing a dealership - I wouldn't deal with our former Chevy dealer either. Some can be arrogant jerks - they act like they're always doing you a favor just in waiting on you.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Haven't looked but they should have them at your local auto parts store. Look in the "Help" section of the store where they have all kinds of fasteners.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Try this link, hope it helps

http://automotive-hardware.com/index.php
Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Autozone has them. They say Chrysler, Ford, GM push pins on the box. Its orange with black writing and comes in a 10 or 12 pack-I believe they are Dorman brand. 2 or 3 bucks.

Don't waste your time at the parts department. It is the exact same item.

edit:
These are it:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2005372

$3.99 for 15
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Try this link:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

There are 1/4" ones and 1/2" ones, so you need to pick the right ones, but I've used these before on other cars.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM

The GM # is 10121502.They're 49 cents each.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks to all for your input. I think I'm going to go up the road a bit to the second chevy dealer and get them there. This decision was prompted by the fact that the right outboard bumper fascia doesn't align nice and tight with the fender. I grabbed the bumper and could move it into place, but it would just drop right back down. I suspect that at least one of the 'tangs' that you push down to release the fascia is cracked or broke. Some online digging showed the price on those to be fairly reasonable. So Chevy dealer here I come, and hopefully he's got decent pricing on those brackets and if he doesn't have them in stock, can have them by early next week.

I'm also going to replace the standard wimpy horn that hides behind the fascia. I know I have seen threads on replacing the horn too. I want dual horns that won't necessitate having to wire in a relay system. I'll do some digging, but while I do, are there any suggestions from those that have done it?