Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

For those who B$$$H about the HHR battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM

That really depends on how important it is too you that your car start. It may go another year or longer (needlessly spending money), then again the cold could kill kill it leaving you needing a jump. So, to quote an old line from a movie:
Are you felling lucky?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by timparker1
I've had my 2009 Panel for about 10 months now and have already had to replace the battery. It would no longer hold a charge
It was covered under warrenty and replaced with a new AC Delco at the dealer. That was just two weeks ago so I'm hoping this one will last.
Did that one last? Mine keeps going dead after it sits for a few days. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM

mine died for the first time after 7 days of sitting?

I have let the car sit for 4 or 5 days at a time with no problem. It's only a year old! The battery was ALL THE WAY dead! Looks like the dealer will be replacing mine...
Old 12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
Having worked in several auto parts manufactuing plants, I would assume that there are probably about 6 companies that make batteries, and that they are all pretty much the same except for the injection molded cases and label they put on them. The ones that are marginal, they put a cheapy off brand label on them. All the other people they supply have their own specs that have to be met.

Generally, this is true, but there's another layer to the formula besides just sending the ones that don't test as well down the "crappy vendor" assembly line. It is also true that most "crappy vendors" specify parameters, materials, PRICE, on the front end. They say in advance that they want crappy products... they aren't just "hoping" that QC catches enough sub-par units to be able to fill their order. Thinner Pb plates, possibly with lower purity, etc., are all specified up front. And if you're willing to put your order payment up front, I've seen OEM's actually build you something they believe is utter crap, and that they would never recommend anyone use (in this case, I'm referring to my years in the audio industry, where one of the bigger US OEMs in the business took a huge order from a fledgling car speaker company using their "pick the pieces and we'll glue it all together for you" catalog. The startup speaker company was totally blown over by what they thought would be a great speaker, but was absolute crap. As consultant, I dug into the situation and saw that they had a fatal design flaw... something a little bit of experience in the speaker business would have avoided... and even the OEM sales rep who took the order would have known to avoid. But he just wanted to book the order... not point out a problem. So 5,000 units were completely scrapped down to the baskets and motor assys, demagnetizing them, more money was spent modifying the pole pieces, then re-magnetizing them, considerable effort ensuring clean gaps (that would have been inherently clean during the original build process, but now were in jeopardy because of the on-speaker machining that had to be done). Total fubar. The company finished rebuilding the 5,000 pieces to operational condition, dumped them unbranded on a surplus company, and I consulted again with them to design something workable. They took the design to a DIFFERENT OEM to have the order filled... and only after a dozen samples were hand-built and tested.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 AM

Mine just pasted the 3 year mark. I can tell it's starting to turn a little slower that when new. It will get replaced at some point this winter. I don't wait until it dies. I've always felt that Delco batteries were only good for 3 years after working in auto parts.

Now just what to get.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Back from the dead

Brining this one back.

Got my first oil change today from the dealer that i bought my car used from. They changed the oil, parked it out front, i got in, turned the key and tiktiktiktiktik.

They jumped it and it started fine. They took it into the shop and said it looked like one of the cells in the battery was weak. They charged it up for an hour while I waited and it seems fine now. Didn't give any indication of any issues till that one point it didn't start.

Trying to decide if I want to replace it right now, or ride it out a bit to see if it was a one-off oddity...like a loose connector or something they didn't want to mention. If that batt's only good for 3 years, that seems kinda cruddy...

And omg $110 for a battery? I wish they'd at least include some lube with that...hehe
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Is your car still under warranty? Because the battery would be covered by the 3 year 36k mile if it is.

Honestly, if it were me I'd leave it be until it dies. Just make sure you have some jumper cables in the back. (Actually, that is what I'm currently doing...) Mine didn't seem to hold a charge well all winter, so I just threw some cables in the back and I'll wait until it doesn't start anymore.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by havoc3d
Brining this one back.

They jumped it and it started fine. They took it into the shop and said it looked like one of the cells in the battery was weak. They charged it up for an hour while I waited and it seems fine now. Didn't give any indication of any issues till that one point it didn't start.

And omg $110 for a battery? I wish they'd at least include some lube with that...hehe
I would go to your local auto parts & have them test the system (FREE), if they confirm a weak cell. You are on borrowed time.

Get a new Battery. The battery needs an external vent line to outside since battery is inside the vehicle. Don't want to be breathing the off gassing.. That's a big part of the higher price imo..
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 PM

battery vent

On a standard battery venting mostly overchargeing will vent oxygen no problem hydrogenis what you have to worry about because 4% and you have a bomb. that is why when it is time for to replace the stock battery Ill go with an AGM battery that is the construction they do not vent as theyare sealed. chesk the Sears for their AGM sealed batteries they are costly about $198.00 each, the Exide is the worst, Johnson Controls also make a great AGM battery, they are not jelled batteries, you can check the Sears web page about their batteries. I was in the Industrial battery business 13 years with Exide and 8 and a half with GNB which was the old Gould battery, I am retired now for 13 years.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Jay- thanks for the info.

I do use AGM batteries in my bikes..

Quick Reply: For those who B$$$H about the HHR battery