Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

For those who B$$$H about the HHR battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 AM

I think (if I can afford it) I'm going to get AC Delco again. I always like them, and they're warrantied for 6 years.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM

I had a new Dodge Dakota, and the MOPAR battery lasted 6 whole months.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 AM

With a weak battery leave the lights on and discharge the battery and then charge it, it can expand the active [ lead peroxide ] to expand and make contact with the grids as a battery ages the active shedds and sinks to the bottom thats what couses a shorted cell.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
The battery needs an external vent line to outside since battery is inside the vehicle. Don't want to be breathing the off gassing.. That's a big part of the higher price imo..

Got my vent line changed under warrantee. While checking my spares pressure I noticed the battery vent tube connector to the battery was broken off. It looks like the battery tube was also cracked when it was put on the connector on the factory line. The new one was longer and pre-curved to fit the space. Must have been a redesign.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 PM

My Duc battery was left unmaintained and out in the cold garage for 9 months. Started right up.

I feel like a car battery should at LEAST be operational if left alone 3-5 months. How long do they sit on store shelves, even though its in a climate controlled environment, it could still be around 9mts to a year+.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

O'k I'm curious again......

How did your dealer determine a bad cell in the battery? If it is a "regular" battery you can test each cell, after removing the cap to each pair of cells......on a "sealed" battery you cannot (well, you can in some).

Jay....

Your reasoning sounds good. I'm wondering why the MILLIONS of sealed and "hidden" batteries haven't exploded for their owners.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
O'k I'm curious again......

How did your dealer determine a bad cell in the battery? If it is a "regular" battery you can test each cell, after removing the cap to each pair of cells......on a "sealed" battery you cannot (well, you can in some).

Jay....

Your reasoning sounds good. I'm wondering why the MILLIONS of sealed and "hidden" batteries haven't exploded for their owners.
Hydrogen is lighter than air will always seek the highest point and can vent thru the smallest opening, 4% per cubic volume is explosive, look at the German Zepplin was filled with Hydrogen. I dont try to be a know it all but did gain alittle knowledge by selling Industrial Batteries and the last 6 years were AGM also called Absord glass matt, as they have NO seperator between the Neg. and Pos. grids so the Ion transfer is no delay where the standard flooded battery is like running in knee deep water, another note the lower the Specific Gravity acid the longer the battery will last, some battery Mfg.s will use a high SP to gain more amps but a shorter life as the acid is what corrodes the lead grids the lead oxide sluffs off which shortens battery life. I hope I did not come off as a smart ass just trying to help a little.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Delco Remy battery plant in Anaheim, Calif. wae a customer of mine I sold them their forklift batteries, their warehouse was the cleanest you could eat off of the floor, and was told the battery mfg. was the same, if you have ever been in a battery mfg. facility its like a horror movie dont touch anything.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Most AGM batteries are semi sealed. Note the black disc on the top of a Optima battery as they are pressure relief vents. AGM's can build pressure at times and have these vent incase they build too much pressure.

Most times they are a true sealed battery but there are times and conditions that can cause them to need to vent.

This is why Optima does not recomend the use of any of their batteries for a HHR. No vent provision for any car with a battery inside. Now that does not mean you can't use them. But they will not recomend them as if something does happen they want no part of it.

I had a talk with the Optima sales manager at work on this.

Not too any battery can explode as it only takes a spark inside or out with the Hydorgen. I had a customer with a Vette and a broken terminal on his new Sears Battery. We advised him to take it back to Sears. He asked me to hold the terminal over to make sure it would start. As soon as he hit the key it blew up, I was lucky and did not get hurt other than a bruise on my hand where the case came appart. We also were lucky the Vette was a 72 with a nylon interior. We wiped it down fast and it suffered no stains or damage.

It was one of those dumb things you do all the time but get away with till this time. I was lucky some how I did not get acid in my eyes. I was right over the battery leaning in the passenger door.

I haved used AC Delco's for years and love them. They are hard to find here in my area now.

Each one I have had has lasted at least 10 years till my 04 GTP. The one in the Fiero lasted 18 years and I only changed it because of the age. It sits most of the time and sits in a cold garage in the winter.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Optima batteries

GNB sold the first one as I resal the orignal was developed by Gates Rubber and were MFD. in SoAfrica, was not a big seller as it had round cells, dregsters started useing them as a std. battery could not take the shock of the G force the dragster generated at launch. a lot of times when a new product comes along it takes a lot of effort to market.

Quick Reply: For those who B$$$H about the HHR battery