Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

TPMS Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 01:42 PM

My bad. I went out to take pictures of the wheels and valve stems and discovered how wrong I was. They are rubber stems. Sorry to be such a dummy.
I'm going to order a set of the ACDelco 13598771 that tvsteve recommended and see how long they last.
Thank you everyone for all your help!

These are actually chrome even though they look like brushed aluminum.
They're a little dirty right now because of all the salt to melt the 6 inches of snow we had.

Last edited by Moonwink; 02-16-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Same 17” chrome plastic 2LT rims I have! I installed a set of these in 2019 , still work , no problems !
ordered from EBay they arrived in three weeks, under $40.00 for four.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:34 PM

Those are the ones the used cart salesman claimed were "mags" and the reason he wanted $1000 above blue book.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Well, underneath the plastic hub cap is an unpolished Pontiac G6 wheel! Been thinking about taking those covers off, however the centre hole is to large to hold in a centre cap like this one is

Old 02-06-2022, 12:59 PM

Gotta tell you I like the idea of chromed plastic covers over painted alloy wheels. Road salt is hell on chrome plated aluminum.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:33 PM
Administrator

I know! That’s why the BlackSwan has the chrome over plastic 17” wheels for its snow tires!

Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 PM

With all the pieces in hand and temps in the 60s, I set about replacing the one sensor no longer sending a signal on the passenger side front tire.

After breaking down the outer bead, I figured the only way to pull out the old valve stem was to remove the screw and take the sensor off. That wasn't an easy task. I found a T-10 Torx bit fit the screw. There wasn't enough room to get anything to turn it but the wrench. It took a little time but I finally got it all the way out and removed the sensor allowing me to grab the valve stem with a Vice-Grip and pull it out.

The OEM sensor was made by Schrader and is 315MHz as shown above.

I haven't been able to find a match for these numbers.

With the new sensor installed, I reinflated the tire (tyre) and mounted it. Then I initiated a "learn" procedure and got nowhere. The new sensor never reported. I started with 42 psi in the tire and let air our till it was down below 20 psi and never received an acknowledgement and the learn procedure failed.

This is the replacement sensor I ordered. ACDelco GM Original Equipment 13598771 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor
Amazon Amazon

I also tried using this tool without any success on the new sensor. The tire with the bad sensor is on the passenger front. After I started the relearn process, I held this tool parallel with the valve stem on the drivers side and pressed the button several times without any response. When I laid it on top of the tire, I heard the two beeps from the horn indicating success. I wasn't pressing the button at the time and no lights were flashing on it. The parking light then went off on the driver's side and came on on the passenger side. I was never able to get the new sensor on the passenger side to respond to the tool or by letting air out of the tire. That's where I quit and put all the tools away. I welcome suggestions.

I also have this relearning tool and it wouldn't work at all on the first (driver's side front) tire so I never went any farther with it.

What do you suggest I do now?
Old 02-15-2022, 09:29 PM

Both of those tools are the same thing, different color.
2 beeps means time out 1 beep means success. Ever consider that the tires have been rotated and not reset? That could mean you changed the wrong one.
If you are not going to reuse the stem the best way to remove it is by breaking it of either by giving it a sharp rap with a BFH or using a valve installation tool and yanking the top off.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:32 PM

I know that I can never get past the front passenger tire when trying to go through the relearn process. I did it years ago successfully but since the light on the dash started complaining and the info center pointing to the front passenger tire as the culprit, I can only get a response from the driver's side before I give up and let it time out after trying to get the passenger side to respond.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Try a battery lobotomy to reset the computers, then try the relearn procedure, make sure you have the parking brake on, and follow the full procedure outlined in the owners manual.
(I’m sure you are but I still have to mention it)

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor Replacement