Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Washing Seatcovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 AM

Washing Seatcovers

Has anyone taken the seat covers off? how hard are they to reinstall? i had a small stain on my drivers seat so i used some mild soap and water on it and now there's a big water stain when it dried. im thinking i sould just wipe down the entire seat or take it off and wash it. i wish i went with the black interior instead of light gray. Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

Washing will shrink it and you'll never get it back on. Try a Tide-to-go pen on an inconspicuous area and see if that works without leaving a spot.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:54 AM

I would wipe the whole seat down to make it match. I have used baby wipes for spots with some pretty impressive results.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:10 AM

yeah i could see bad things happening if i take the covers off. thanks!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 AM

You used too much water, It got into the foam,didn't get pulled out and that's what you are seeing.

great intention, bad execution. It happens and it's hardly permanent.

Try getting an extractor and you can get the water spot out. The little green clean machine is a good one for this. The point is to get the water OUT after you put it in.

If you have a smaller wet/dry Vac you can clean the seat again and try getting the water out with that as well. I have a rather large one and it's just not practical for the small spaces of the HHR.

Good luck
Old 08-30-2008, 08:41 PM

I did the same thing but I didn't use too much water it just makes a darker stain, so I did the whole seat and now it is perfect.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by vschriver
I did the same thing but I didn't use too much water it just makes a darker stain, so I did the whole seat and now it is perfect.
what did you clean with?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Norsican
You used too much water, It got into the foam,didn't get pulled out and that's what you are seeing.

great intention, bad execution. It happens and it's hardly permanent.

Try getting an extractor and you can get the water spot out. The little green clean machine is a good one for this. The point is to get the water OUT after you put it in.

If you have a smaller wet/dry Vac you can clean the seat again and try getting the water out with that as well. I have a rather large one and it's just not practical for the small spaces of the HHR.

Good luck

Thats what I use also, the little green machine. Cleans the seats and carpet nicely. For spot cleaning, I use one of the non-arasol car seat cleaners, there are many on the market.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 AM

i removed my drivers seat cover and hand washed it. I used cold waterand a little soap. Then i put it in the washing machine and used the spin cycle to remove as much water as i could. I put it in the dryer on air fluf and it came out clean just like i got the seat cover from the factory.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 AM

When I purchased the rear seats for my panel, the junk yard delivered them on an open truck during a winter snow storm. needless to say, they were soaked thoughout. I removed the covers, put them in the front loading washing machine, and hang dried them. A drier is where all the shrinking happens. I had no problems reinstalling them, and they look brand new. Anyone with a little mechanical aptitude and a pair of long-nosed pliers can figure it out.

Quick Reply: Washing Seatcovers