Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Washing Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ern
I would use a leaf blower. Driving to blow all that out then doing a whipedown especially on black will cause marring.
I've used the leaf blower method before as well... Works really good!!!

(but the neighbors think I'm nuts - I was hoping they wouldn't find out the truth)

Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 PM

I just put the blower nozzle on my air compressor, looks way cooler
Old 07-18-2008, 05:34 AM

Suggest NOT using air conpressor

You ever drain the air compressor and see some of the stuff coming out with the air?. Stick with an electric blower if you have one. To much contamination comes out of an air compressor don't chance the damage to your paint
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Can someone recommend a good product to remove these friggin bugs? I've heard Turtle Wax makes a good product or even using WD-40.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:47 PM

I use a product called the master blaster to dry my cars. Don't have to touch them with a towell. Much better than a leaf blower. I use most of the Zaino products. They can't be beat.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Step Father is a detailer

I worked with my step father for a while and I still go there to deep clean my car.
First rule is clean out your washing mitts constantly while washing your car! The grit that builds up on it and in your soap water can leave swirls in paint.
Second rule dry it with a chamois! Every car parts store should have them and nothing works better. They hold a ton of water and ring out easily. Just make sure you keep it clean just like the washing mitts.
I always wash bottom to top (it just makes sense)
If you live anywhere hot dry or salty wash and wax often.
Last but not least...
Buy some silicone spray lube, spray it on a rag and wipe down any rubber seals (doors,sunroof ect) This will keep them from cracking and leaking. You can also buy UV protectant that works on plastic and rubber(aerospace protectant)
I know this sounds extreme but I live 2 blocks from the ocean. If it works here it will work just about everywhere.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 14Thumb
Can someone recommend a good product to remove these friggin bugs? I've heard Turtle Wax makes a good product or even using WD-40.
WD 40 will bake your paint. Bug guts are acidic and will eat through paint. Wash your car after country drives or get a clear bra. It looks like clear tint but it's stronger. I drive 40,000 miles a year and this was the best option I have found. I have a white HHR and looks great after lots of highway miles.If you have a dark color I have heard that you can see a wax line on the edge
Old 10-21-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by daniagm
You ever drain the air compressor and see some of the stuff coming out with the air?. Stick with an electric blower if you have one. To much contamination comes out of an air compressor don't chance the damage to your paint
I open the drain valve after every use, it works for me.. I also use this compressor to paint with, it's very well filtered.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
I open the drain valve after every use, it works for me.. I also use this compressor to paint with, it's very well filtered.
Yup, draining the tank often, and using a good dryer/filter should keep the air contaminant free .
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM

Bug Removal

Originally Posted by 14Thumb
Try wet dryer sheets. They work like a charm on love bugs here in FLA.

Quick Reply: Washing Your HHR